Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Lack of Support for a Customer to Make a Payment

I had signed up for a postpaid cell phone number with Koodo for $95 a month. Upon signing, I explained that while my home is in Canada, I work abroad and need this number active for when I visit, even though it will only be in use for 30 days a year. I specified that I needed an online method of payment via credit card so that I can make payments while abroad.
1. I was not given an account number, so while trying to make the payment online it obviously failed.
2. I called Koodo from Dubai on a long distance call waiting for 15 mins for someone to take my call, with an 8 hour time difference, only to have the automated system disconnect the call without the option of leaving a message. I tried this method twice.
3. I never received a single email notifying me of bills for me to even get an account number
4. no attempt was made from Koodo to contact me regarding payment and all the effort was done by me. Without notifying me, without warning, not a single letter in the mail (my family receives my mail), my account was sent to collections. This is not justified nor is it legal! Koodo needs to acknowledge customers' rights, and respect that as a teleco, they owe their customers proper forms of support. Truly appalling and disappointing to see that this is allowed, Rogers would never do that and they are definitely worth the higher rates (not much higher than Koodo in my opinion!!). It's also rather humorous that a complaint option is not given when starting a thread. 

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You account number can be found on your bill or service agreement when you first signed up (the paperwork given to you). An explanation regarding self serve should have been explained to you

You could have also set up pre-auth payments when you signed up.

I would advise calling Koodo with Skype or google hangouts.

Im sure none of this helps you now.

What was your question?
Dennis wrote:

You account number can be found on your bill or service agreement when you first signed up (the p...

Thanks Dennis. Unfortunately I wasn't given an account number when I signed up. I was told I could sign up online with my cell number and email address. I was also told that I could use my international credit card to make the payment, which from Nabil's response below I was told I could only do so using a Canadian credit card. I was honestly not even worried about the long distance charges if it meant I could go ahead and pay my bills and maintain a perfect credit history and an active cell number back home. Also, Skype was only recently allowed to operate in the UAE (where I work), and the connection still doesn't work 100%. There was no question, this was a statement of frustration / rant / information for others who use Koodo or are thinking about using Koodo could refer to. Also, soemthing for Koodo management to see and acknowledge that there is a glitch in their process. I only had the options of question, idea or praise and I definitely wasn't willing to praise them 🙂 Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Follow the last post on this link if you feel you want to contact Koodo directly without breaking the bank:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/i-need-to-cancel-my-account-i-am-now-in-uk-so-need-to...

BobTheElectrician wrote:

Follow the last post on this link if you feel you want to contact Koodo directly without breaking...

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your willingness to help. Unfortunately I wasn't even able to access my bills to get my account number. My frustration lies with the fact that even upon signing, my documents didn't mention an account number. The rep at Walmart told me I would be able to sign up with my number and email address online and receive all of the information. My initial call in August 2014 (when my first bill was due) was to inquire about how I can get my account number and I wasn't even able to get to a rep over the phone.
Userlevel 5
Hey Chantz,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We do understand the situation and we will assist you the best we can. Do you have access to your Self-Serve? From the Self-Serve, you should be able to get your account number (Login to Self-Serve > View my bill > Download bill (PDF)) and you also should be able to pay your bills with a Canadian credit card (Login to Self-Serve > View my bill > Pay my bill). You'll also be able to set up your notifications for your bills (Login to Self-Serve > click on Change Address > Change Bill type / Notifications). If you want to talk to a rep, give us a call and press 0 at least 3 or 4 time and you'll reach a rep.

Thanks
Nabil wrote:

Hey Chantz,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We do understand the situation and we will assist you...

Hi Nabil, I appreciate that you responded however, when I registered online I wasn't able to download any bills without an account number. (Side note: I asked the rep when signing the conteact if I can pay using an international CC and was told it was possible, so it is surprising that you mention a Canadian credit card must be used) I called the call center several times in 2014 only to wait for the maximum time before the automated system disconnected me. It is inconvenient especially since I am in meetings or on calls for the majority of my work hours and after hours for work. Taking the time to dial in during your operating hours, with the 8 hour time difference, when I am not on business travels, was an inconvenience I was happy with considering I could settle my account dues but it proved to be unsuccessful. I did not even receive a warning from Koodo to let me know that my account will be taken to collections. In any regular case, if I ignored bills or warnings then of course go ahead and take the necessary action but when I have tried in vain to pay and I find out my account is with collections by receiving an email from the collections agency? Could Koodo not have taken the same steps to contact their customers to ask for payment or simply give a final warning? Of course not because Koodo is not going to suffer from taking the easy way out. I was able to easily pay the outstanding balance through the collections agency, online, using a credit card issued in the UAE. It really makes you wonder how much a teleco like Koodo values return customers. You would have benefited from an inactive number except for 30 days annually, with someone still paying their bills had you provided appropriate support. You would have also had a happy customer spreading the word about convenience and value and customer satisfaction etc. Unfortunately, this was not the case I will stick to Rogers and happily pay an extra $100 a month if that was even the case, since they would at least be more deserving of my money when they guarantee customer satisfaction. Koodo hasn't even apologized, not that an apology will do anything to fix my credit history at this point. Acknowledging that a mistake was made by the Koodo team and owning up to falsely glorifying online service and support would be a step in the right direction. Maybe even training your reps that are selling your services not to mislead customers or provide false information that could potentially lead to this? Food for thought for Koodo management.
Userlevel 5
Nabil wrote:

Hey Chantz,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We do understand the situation and we will assist you...

Thanks for your feedback Chantz,

We will definitely forward this experience to the appropriate department. Indeed you should be able to pay your invoice with a credit card issued in the UAE however the credit card has to be registered first by a rep (over the phone) and sometimes with some international financial institution, to get the authorization, it may take times (France for example). This is the reason why we recommend Canadian credit card.

Regarding your payment, our Payment Services always contact customers when a payment is overdued. However we do not contact our customer by email regarding the payments. We only contact you on your contact number or on your Koodo phone. This is very strange that you did not receive any calls/warnings but since you used this phone number only when you were visiting Canada, it is possible that we were not able to reach you and after certain period depending on payment history, the system automatically suspends and then cancels the account, etc... Did you have the International add-ons on your account? For more details about this situation, we will need to access your account and verify the notes/memos/calls. We really do understand the situation however without accessing your account, it will be hard to see what happened exactly and why we did not contact you about your account/payments. Rest assured that this whole story will be forwarded to the appropriate management area. 

Thanks!
Nabil wrote:

Hey Chantz,

Please feel free to check calls from your team, as there will be no inbound calls to Koodo from me since I wasn't able to get through. Also, please note that I told the rep who sold me the plan, that I will be oversees as of the 3rd week of August and she assured me it would be no problem since I can complete every necessary transaction online. I was not under the impression that I needed any roaming or international plans to avoid any issues. Also, I provided my home phone number in Canada where relatives could have answered calls to take messages on my behalf and they would have informed me if they received any calls. If a collections agency was able to send me an email, I don't understand why it would be complicated for Koodo to extend the same effort? If you feel that you can improve your service for existing and potential customers to avoid this in the future, and would like to investigate further, kindly provide me with a way to reach you so that I can give you my account details (now that I have them). Thanks again Nabil.
Userlevel 5
Nabil wrote:

Hey Chantz,

In order to be able to look at your account, we need you to send us an email from this link: http://koo.do/11eMLdy. Just make sure to select "Social Media" on the form.

Thanks Chantz
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nabil wrote:

Hey Chantz,

Sadly if the Walmart employee gave you wrong info, it is difficult to correct.  Walmart employees are not usually the cream of the crop and Koodo does not dictate walmart hiring.

Which walmart was it?
Nabil wrote:

Hey Chantz,

South Keys in Ottawa, but i was under the impression that she was a Koodo employee placed at a Koodo desk in Walmart, but that's a pure assumption on my part. It was definitely my fault for also assuming someone would have to be trained to sell services, or at least say "I don't know" when asked a question they couldn't give an honest answer to. These deficiencies in customer service are what I expect to face in the middle east where credibility is often overlooked in favour of higher sales, but not back home where customers have rights!
Userlevel 4
Nabil wrote:

Hey Chantz,

It is quite surprising that Koodo don't make sure that people, who are dealing with Koodo's products and services, do know what they are talking about.
Quality?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Next time when you call Koodo, you could use Skype. Calling toll-free number is free when you use Skype! 
Userlevel 4
Robert wrote:

Next time when you call Koodo, you could use Skype. Calling toll-free number is free when you use...

Unfortunately Skype does not work, or does not work 100%, from the Country where the call is originated.
Skype was prohibited in the UAE when I had the issue. It was only recently allowed to operate, and with a very bad connection I might add. Thanks though Robert
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chantz wrote:

Skype was prohibited in the UAE when I had the issue. It was only recently allowed to operate, an...

Ohh. Didn't know that! Hope Nabil will be able to help you out!
Chantz wrote:

Skype was prohibited in the UAE when I had the issue. It was only recently allowed to operate, an...

Thank you! It's paid through collections. I just hope no one else had to get their credit history tarnished because of a lack of support from a teleco. Hopefully this will help others and maybe even Koodo to provide better support and convenience for future customers.
Userlevel 4
Chantz wrote:

This story should teach Koodo something. Come on guys, step down from your thrones, listen, and implement. This whole story is a perfect text book.
Userlevel 4
Chantz wrote:

Koodo should now show some kind of fair play and remove the smudge from Chantz's credit history. That is the least that Koodo can and should do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chantz wrote:

If you have perfect credit, one incident like this would have negligible impact
Userlevel 4
Chantz wrote:

Still HAS an impact.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chantz wrote:

Only if you have other incidents.  A credit rating reports is not out of 100%.  It helps to gauge your short term history and see if there is a trend of incidents.
Chantz wrote:

Yes but why should I even have an incident, rare or not, to begin with? It's injustice. Like I've repeatedly said, if I had access to my bills and simply ignored koodo's attempts at settling my bills, it would have been justified. It's unfair treatment and an abuse of the system for Koodo to send an account to collections without even notifying the customer. Legally, I could make a bigger deal out of this. Instead, I am hoping Koodo will acknowledge their mistakes and do something to fix it. Otherwise, I will go more public with this issue and ensure that people who do not use Koodo will know that Koodo doesn't respect Canadian consumer rights and that they've been getting away with it.
Userlevel 4
Chantz wrote:

You know, Dennis, for an honest person, and despite the credit rating, this whole story is really bad and upsetting. For someone who is walking borderline (and here I do not suggest anything, be it clear) with legality, it might be just one of the many incidents. I am trying to wear Chantz's shoes here (they fit a kind of extremely snug) and I would feel exposed, abused, walked over, ashamed to some extent going through an experience like this. Do you get the picture, do Koodo get the picture?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chantz wrote:

Up to you if you want to spend time on this. It would be collections who would have reported you to the credit agency. It would be them who would have reported payment. I have never had an issue calling Koodo. And registering my card for pre-authorized payment has never been an issue for me. My beef would be with Walmart. But lesson learned here is to have your accounts in order before leaving the country.