Koodo Community

Koodo should really carry the Galaxy Rugby LTE!

Userlevel 7
As some of you may know, I'm lead advisor at the Uxbridge Mobile Shop location and Koodo is our #1 seller, hands down. Canada-wide calling is key because virtually everything in the Durham region is long distance from each other. We're in a rural area with lots of farmers, stable workers, construction workers, truck drivers, etc etc so a lot of guys have been asking for rugged smartphones and/or unlimited calling plans with long distance in Canada included. Koodo's the perfect fit but there's no phone for them! Telus and Koodo don't serve Uxbridge area codes anymore, port requests get denied all the time and it's costed me some sales. We end up having to do Toronto (416/647), which is then long distance to everything outside of Uxbridge. It causes headaches. Koodo's reception is also better in this area compared to Rogers/Fido so they basically rule these lands. I've switched a ton of people over. I digress, I would love if Koodo picked up the Galaxy Rugby LTE. It retails for $460 on Telus so if Koodo could grab it for a reduced cost (maybe $250 on Tab) I would sell it like no tomorrow! We've done like 3 in the past 2 weeks alone on Telus for 2 stable girls and an electrician, imagine if Koodo got a hold of it with their awesome plans?? - 1.5 GHz dual-core processor - 400x800 4-inch AMOLED display - 1 GB of RAM - 5MP camera with flash - Android 4.0 with Touchwiz UI and Nature UX - Military-grade specifications for durability It's better than the S II X in certain areas. However, the point of this phone is its ruggedness. The perfect blend of brains and brawn, it's built to military-grade specs, which make it shock proof, dust proof, solar radiation proof, and it's even WATERPROOF up to 1 metre for half an hour. You can literally use the phone underwater. It's crazy. http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/smartphones/SGH-I547ZKMBMC I implore Koodo to grab this phone. I know they don't announce phones until they're ready to release them, but if anyone would listen, there's definitely a market for this phone. Please consider it. I would sell a ton. 🙂

15 replies

Userlevel 1
Thanks for sharing this idea with us Jonathan. I checked out the phone and while it may not appeal to everyone I can see why it would be successful for customers looking for durability. Encourage customers to bring unlocked and compatible versions of any phones to our network. That way they benefit from our superior network and the freedom of having any phone they want 🙂
Userlevel 1
Don wrote:

I think that most of you have never worked on a construction site or you would never say that an ...

I guess it depends on the trade, but throwing a phone on a wall and have it dropped from a scaffolding from over 20 feet or have you rained on without notice or dropped in a puddle of mud are completely different things. The Rugby and the Sonim will withstand all of those. Now, I do not know how much construction experience and how many different sites you have been to and I certainly do not mean any disrespect to you. I value very much your inputs in all the topics you have commented/helped, but I cannot agree with you that a GN in an Otterbox would be enough for a tradesman on a construction site (especially in an industrial or commercial/residential building before drywalling). So let's find a common ground, a Rugby in an Otterbox enough for a construction site ? Would you agree with me on this one ? 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Don wrote:

I think that most of you have never worked on a construction site or you would never say that an ...

I've worked on construction sites alot in my life and I would bring my Galaxy Note with the Otter Box Defender on it there and feel completely safe but definitely not with the Otter Box commuter. To show somebody how good the case was I tossed my Galaxy Note off the wall and to the ground and since the rubber is on the outside of the case it just bounced right off with no damage what so ever. With that you get any device you want as oppose to buying a limited phone because it has protection.
Userlevel 1
I think that most of you have never worked on a construction site or you would never say that an Otterbox is sufficient.... The Galaxy Rugby is the MINIMUM you would have if you wanted to have a peace of mind working on a construction site. I worked almost 10 years as a carpenter (I have changed carreers) and the only phone that can withstand the punishment that construction sites gives you and your phone is a Sonim. The Rugby is great for some tradesmen, but not all of them. www.sonimtech.com P.S. My Sonim XP Bolt was my main phone until I changed carreer paths, now I have a Galaxy Note 2 (don't bring the Note 2 on a construction site.... even with an otterbox....)
Userlevel 7
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I think it makes more sense to do what John said and get the other box defender in for a range of...

Oh yeah, I still sell Otterboxes. Sold a Defender for an iPhone 4/4S today. Again, I'm limited to which accessories I can carry, though. It's out of my hands as to which vendors agree to let us stock their stuff.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think it makes more sense to do what John said and get the other box defender in for a range of phones your store carries, then they can have whatever level of phone with the ruggedness. I had the Otter Box Defender on my old Galaxy Note & I could throw that thing against the wall & have nothing bad happen. They are definitely worth the $50-$60 if you work or play in a rough & rugged area. - KID ANDROID. ( Team.Android.Canada)
Userlevel 7
Bean wrote:

What about the Rugby II instead of the LTE? It's at a $230 pricepoint which would fit in better w...

That would be awesome too! However the Rugby LTE is the most impressive one to me because it's actually got decent specs on it for a smartphone + ruggedness + a slightly more modest retail price.
What about the Rugby II instead of the LTE? It's at a $230 pricepoint which would fit in better with Koodo's prices and it's still solid for those who need it.
Userlevel 7
Aaron MacIntyre wrote:

Besides the durability, what are the areas that the rugby had superior specs. I can't find much o...

Also known as the Rugby Pro in the U.S... here is the GSMarena entry: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_rugby_pro_i547-5019.php 8GB internal memory + expandable up to 32 GB...1.5GHz dual-core Krait (same as S3 Canadian version) with Android 4.0 + Touchwiz and Nature UX and 1GB of RAM... so it's not a slouch! Yeah the display and camera aren't the greatest but the price isn't bad, and these kinds of specs a year ago on a rugged phone (like the original Galaxy Rugby) would have been nearly outrageous! I'm telling you, if someone wants a good phone that can take a beating, Telus is my lead at my kiosk. Bell has it too apparently but I can't get it for Bell... 😞
Besides the durability, what are the areas that the rugby had superior specs. I can't find much on the lte model spec wise. What type of processor is in it? The phone would actually be a good choice for my company phone, do a lot of field work. Mind you, my old inq cloud touch managed to survive the jungle in Triniad lol.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

I already sell some Otterboxes, Trident, and some Speck cases but I'm limited in the amount of ac...

Oh yeah, Otterboxes are our best sellers. Again, I'm limited to which accessories I can carry, but they're great nonetheless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I already sell some Otterboxes, Trident, and some Speck cases but I'm limited in the amount of ac...

Here in Barrie Ontario they are in every kiosk and store for all the top devices. Defender and commuter versions.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

Do the Otter Boxes sell well? Just wondering as I've wanted one but can't find retail stores with any in my area.
Userlevel 7
I already sell some Otterboxes, Trident, and some Speck cases but I'm limited in the amount of accessories we can stock because of vendor issues.
Userlevel 6
Interesting choice...not for me but I'm sure for some though the price seems a bit high in my opinion for Koodo (maybe when Telus stops selling them Koodo could get the overstock). Anyhow, any addition to their Android lineup is a good thing as it means more choice in the phones I can borrow for a couple months, LoL. If you're looking for durability, I'd recommend your store starts selling Otter Box cases - they're monstrosities to look at but get the job done like no other.