Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Koodo Prepaid: tethering not working on Note2

Just moved to Koodo prepaid from Rogers and everything works fine except tethering. It worked fine with Rogers and my APN setting is correct according to Koodo tech support (not offering any additional help because my phone is non-Koodo phone). I have an unlocked SGH - I317M. Othere devices get connected to my phone, but no data is flowing. Searched the net and a few reporting the same problem without any clear solution. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm not sure the actual solution but I do remember that someone else had this exact issue with a Note 2 a couple months back & they resolved it, so use the search box in the top right corner and you should be able to solve your issue but it may take a little to find the thread. If you find it post back here please so we know you found it. I'll let you know if I find it as well.
Yes, I did find the thread but a proposed solution was to root and install an app. However, I don't really want to root my phone. I believe it can be fixed somehow by tweaking the APN setting.
Userlevel 7
Joe Choi wrote:

Yes, I did find the thread but a proposed solution was to root and install an app. However, I do...

I think you can just use foxfi or any other tethering app to solve this. If your APN settings are correct and you cannot tether, it's most likely hardware or some glitch in the firmware. The only tweak ton the APN I'm aware of would be for mms sending.
I got it fixed by reconfiguring my tethering settings, removing unnecessary APN's (Clearnet and Telus), and removing and putting back in SIM and battery.
Userlevel 1
Joe Choi wrote:

I got it fixed by reconfiguring my tethering settings, removing unnecessary APN's (Clearnet and T...

XDA Developpers are insisting on rooting phone first, they're showing how to tether using WiFi Mod in this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2273401
Userlevel 7
Joe Choi wrote:

I got it fixed by reconfiguring my tethering settings, removing unnecessary APN's (Clearnet and T...

:-@
Userlevel 1
Joe Choi wrote:

Thanks, this fixed my problem. Removed those 2 APNs and all is well, removing sim & battery was not required.
remove supl in the apn type and add dun. so it should read default,dun,mms Data to the tether devices will magically work took me a week of googling to fix tethering on my new unlocked s4. Take out the useless web proxy too that's not needed and just slows browsing down and adds a level of tracking.
Corbett Greig wrote:

remove supl in the apn type and add dun. so it should read default,dun,mms Data to the tether d...

You actually don't need to remove "supl". Just add "dun" to the end of the list.
I have an unlocked Galaxy S3. I set the APN type to read Internet + mms + dun. I also removed the web proxy (74.49.0.18). I didn't delete the Telus APN's that are in there. Tethering works great now. Thanks for the tip, Corbett.