Koodo Community
Solved

Koodo prepaid plan activation bonus

Userlevel 1
Do I get $20 activation bonus when purchasing a prepaid koodo plan (sim only) with own non koodo phone.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Ahsa,

The 20$ activation bonus is given when first activating your Koodo prepaid SIM card to your new account
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the information.

I purchased a Koodo prepaid sim from Koodo store and I have my own non koodo device.
I was informed that I will not get $20 activation bonus since I have my own mobile device. Is this correct? 
Userlevel 6
Asha K wrote:

I purchased a Koodo prepaid sim from Koodo store and I have my own n...

As long as the account is new, you will get the bonus, regardless of what device you use.
Userlevel 1
Asha K wrote:

Also how much does a prepaid sim card cost?

I paid $25.99 for new nano sim and $15 for VIP membership card. I had not asked for VIP membership, realised that I have paid for it only after checking detailed invoice later. 
Userlevel 6
Asha K wrote:

The VIP membership is a program run by some authorized dealers in the ontario area.
It gives you 50% off accessories as well as gives you access to other services like contact swaps, back ups and restore, prepaid account setups etc. Setting up your prepaid account and picking a plan and number is usually a self serve service. They probably charged you for your plan and sim and used the $20 start up to pay for your setup marked on your receipt as "vip membership"

And yes that price is typically normal for sim cards. they range from 20-25.99 depending where you go.
If you went to a corporate Koodo shop, it would have cost 20 for the card, but you'd have to set the account up yourself.
Userlevel 3
Asha K wrote:

VIP membership??? Sounds more like a wallet flush to me. What a joke!!! Cellphone businesses being run by used car salesman now???
Userlevel 7
Asha K wrote:

Honestly, this customer was full on scammed by this dealer.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Mitchell for the detailed comments.

The person who set up my Koodo account said that he is charging $15 for the first month plan amount which is marked as "vip membership". He also said I will get $20 activation only if I buy a koodo device. Evantually I have ended up paying $15 extra. He did not mention the charges for setting up the account, otherwise I could have done it myself. Pretty disappointing.
Userlevel 6
Asha K wrote:

The person who set up my Koodo account said that he i...

Sounds confusing. I doubt you were dealing with a deceitful rep, maybe just a rep who couldn't properly communicate what was going on.
For example, the prepaid kits come with a Koodo device and $20 start up as well, maybe just miscommunicated.
Sorry that happened !!
Userlevel 7
Asha K wrote:

Mitchell, it's a shitty practice what dealers do. Period and end of story. Stop defending them just because you work for one. If ANY dealer charges more than what a Koodo shop does, for anything, they're automatically scum. Yeah dealers need to make money but then they shouldn't have chosen to be a Koodo dealer as their choice of business.
Userlevel 6
Asha K wrote:

So everything should be sold at cost?
Koodo depends on these independent dealers for increased business.
It's not a matter of go broke or choose a different business.
I wasn't defending the practice, I was just explaining the charges.
The sims cost 25.99 here. Do i agree? i don't know i just sell the cards. It's not my place to make executive decisions like that. You're acting like it's my fault lol
Corporate doesn't activate prepaid accounts as it is self serve, the dealers will for $15 bucks. Not sure what the problem is.
If Koodo didn't want the dealers doing that, then the dealers wouldn't. They have to follow rules set by telus and regularly meet with them. 
Userlevel 1
The rep has given wrong information and charged me for setting up the account without my knowledge. I am planning to call up the customer support and report this and see if they can help me out !!
Userlevel 7
I used to work in the industry so I've seen things like that go down. Some dealer stores for carriers are shady like that. They're usually independently owned, so they have more leeway to do what they want, but also have more costs to manage and everything is riding on them. So they will charge a few extra $$ for small things or disguise VIP memberships, warranties, etc by offering a discount or including it in the price of the phones to make extra profits. Unlike a corporate store where everything is basically decided by head office and they just give the store manager a few discounts or strings to pull for a customer. You might not get the best value but they offer all the services/phones the carrier offers and accountable reps. That's why I either use a reputable multi carrier store (less bias) or corporate stores (basically guaranteed to get what you need).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I used to work in the industry so I've seen things like that go down. Some dealer stores for ...

In some areas, independent dealers can't carry prepaid SIM-only for client activation. Maybe partially for the scenario above. Must go to corproate boutique.

Whole problem could be solved once Koodo starts shipping SIMS directo-to-customer from web site the way that most other providers do.

Userlevel 1
Thank you everyone for the responses. Your inputs have solved my confusion !!

Do you think is there anything that I can do now about this since I have already made the payment? 

I should have been watchful, but the guy was very nice to us and he said he is charging me $25.99 for the sim and $15 for the first month plan. Only after swiping my card, he gave the receipt and when I checked my koodo account at home, I could find a credit of $20 activation bonus and $15 plan deduction. But I already paid for the plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Asha K wrote:

Do you think is th...

So, he told you he is charging you SIM plus $15 plan. Do you see $20 activation bonus plus $15 plan fee on your account?  If not  I would go buck to that store and ask them where is that $15 go(because $15 deducted from bonus credit) and if you can cancel " VIP membership card"  and get money back at least.
I don't know how independently owned authorized dealers works but I would try.

And I agree with Bob, this kind of issues could be prevented if Koodo start selling SIM online. They are still working on the web store, so I hope it will fully functioned very soon.
Userlevel 1
Asha K wrote:

Do you think is th...

Yes Mayumi, I see $20 activation bonus plus $15 plan fee on my account. And I paid for the sim and $15 for the plan at the store.

I am going to the store today, unfortunately the VIP membership card is mentioned as non refundable in the receipt.

Userlevel 3
Asha K wrote:

Do you think is th...

I would not waste my time going back to the store. I would call Koodo and ask if they approve of these practices, because you feel "Ripped off!" If they don't approve..... Ask them what they are prepared to do to rectify this issue to your satisfaction????? Ps.......The store will just tell you fairytales and excuses as to why they can't do a credit, or a refund, or the manager is not here, blah, blah, blah.
Userlevel 1
Asha K wrote:

Do you think is th...

Makes sense Bill, I will call up Koodo first and see if they can handle this issue.
Based on their response I can think about going to the store. Thanks.