Koodo Community
Question

Koodo phone unlocking, how does this work....

• 24 February 2013
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
  • New User
  • 342 replies
Does koodo root the software to unlock any of their locked phones or unlock the phones using software key code? Does koodo charge $50 flat rate for any koodo phone or is the charge depends on the phone type?

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 1
I can't speak to the method. But the $50 is a flat rate for all Koodo non-CDMA phones, regardless. And you know, the three months' good standing account minimum.
Userlevel 2
I can't speak to the method. But the $50 is a flat rate for all Koodo non-CDMA phones, regardl...$50 sounds little too much for samsung phones.
Userlevel 1
I can't speak to the method. But the $50 is a flat rate for all Koodo non-CDMA phones, regardl...it's more to discourage unlocking and leaving. There are plenty of 3rd party stores willing to do it for much less... but it's like buying a laptop from BestBuy and Kijiji - BestBuy will have a markup cos of guaranties and all that if anything goes wrong, Kijiji if anything goes wrong, oh well. You gotta choose what you want. 3rd party unlocking used to be risky, but these days it's so commonplace and pretty darn reliable.
Userlevel 2
I can't speak to the method. But the $50 is a flat rate for all Koodo non-CDMA phones, regardl...I agree companies work is backed up with warranties, but to unlock $150 phone companies has to think before charging $50. $50 makes sense to unlock phone which is worth $500.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rooting doesn't necessarily unlock a phone. They are two different things. It's a IMEI based unlock so they give you a code Koodo does not root phones
Userlevel 2
Rooting doesn't necessarily unlock a phone. They are two different things. It's a IMEI based un...I had my friend re rooted his samsung galaxy ace, took it to US and it worked. But when he came back and try to use the koodo SIM he was getting errors and not able to phone. So what I hear is using IMEI based unlock, you can use the phone back and forth with koodo. Am I right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rooting doesn't necessarily unlock a phone. They are two different things. It's a IMEI based un...yes, once it's unlocked with a code it will work on all carriers it compatible with, just pop in any sim & it will work back forth sideways every way
Userlevel 2
Rooting doesn't necessarily unlock a phone. They are two different things. It's a IMEI based un...Are you sure iphone get unlocked by code only? Others say you need to modify firmware.
PD, truthfully speaking before spending any money it all depends what phone are you gong to unlock. is it worth spending x amount of money that costs x amount of dollars. Sincerely companies charging $50 to unlock the phone sounds big rip off to me therefore i feel i should follow any methods to make sure my new sim cards works on my phone. Companies think they gave you discounted phones but they should understand they are not doing favours. AT The End of the Day It's My Phone that I bought Spending My Honest Dollars.
Userlevel 2
PD, truthfully speaking before spending any money it all depends what phone are you gong to unloc...Right, I know locally I know people do unlock blackberry and samsung phones for only $10. Except iphone, and $50 sounds too much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just one point of clarification: it is a code based unlock for every phone but the iphone. To unlock the iphone koodo must use apple's software to set a flag for the imei number which will then cause the iphone firmware to be modified when it is backed up and restored through itunes.
Userlevel 2
Just one point of clarification: it is a code based unlock for every phone but the iphone. To u...So iphone you need to modify the firmware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Pd my phone is rooted, unlocked, and running custom firmware. I use it with Koodo and at & t and tmobile. I have also used AT&T phones with Koodo. They work back and forth
Userlevel 2
Pd my phone is rooted, unlocked, and running custom firmware. I use it with Koodo and at & t and...What phone is it?