Koodo Community
Solved

Koodo-Nexus5 Phone on tab Stolen,but i have the sim-card with me. How do I track the phone using imei number? What is the next step?

My koodo Nexus 5 phone(on a 5$ monthly tab) was stolen a few hours ago, and since i am on vacation in India, there was an Indian sim card in the phone..The koodo one is still with me. However i am unaware on how the phone can be tracked using technologies like the IMEI number, because the person has definitely removed the card and must have inserted his/her own. WHat should be my immediate step? and what do i do with my Koodo sim-card once i am back to Canada? Will it work in any other phone or not?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Report the loss to your current Indian mobile operator and Koodo, or you could be in for some nasty charges. They may be able to trace through IMEI. They will at least add your IMEI to the stolen list and block some carriers from activating the phone. http://www.trackimei.com/ http://www.imeitrack.org/stolen.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Since you have the Koodo SIM, there is no reason to deactivate it or suspend your service. Make sure you make it clear to the Koodo rep when you call in that only the phone was stolen and that you have your SIM.

Follow this link to the android device manager. From here, as long as your device has an internet connection, you'll be able to track it and also erase or lock it or both.

https://www.google.com/android/device...

When you get home you'll need to buy a new phone. In the meantime you may be able to use your Koodo SIM in a local phone...to do this you'd need to add the international voice saver add on to your acct through self serve. Then your SIM should work there. But it might be expensive to use your Koodo SIM in India.
You can use your Koodo SIM in any phone as long as it's unlocked.

Sorry about your experience
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Since you have the Koodo SIM, there is no reason to deactivate it or suspend your service. Make s...

The device locator I believe only works if you set it up first so if they didn't set up then it's of no use
Badge +4
Sorry to hear of this Amanpreet, your best option would be to call in and report the phone stolen as soon as possible (1-866-995-6636). The Nexus 5 takes a micro SIM card which is fairly standard among most Android devices today. Your Koodo SIM card is compatible with many of Koodo's other phones (e.g., Moto G, Nokia Lumia 635, Galaxy Note 2 & 4 and Galaxy S series phones to name a few). The IMEI number is specific to your Nexus 5, so when the device is reported lost or stolen, that phone then becomes blacklisted, though I believe this only works for blacklisting devices within North America. Report it regardless. It's 3:40 a.m. in Ontario at time of print, so the offices are closed now. Here are the hours of operation. Hours of Operation: Monday − Friday: 10 am - 9 pm Saturday: 9 am - 7 pm Sunday: 9 am - 7 pm
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Sorry to hear of this Amanpreet, your best option would be to call in and report the phone stolen...

Since you have the Koodo SIM in your possession, there is really no way charges can rack up against your Koodo account immediately. But call the Indian SIM supplier right away. You can probably send Koodo an email rather than spending $$$ on long distance from India.
Thank you so much for the prompt replies guys. Means a lot to me. Yes i will report the stolen phone to the local police and see what can be done . meanwhile whill buy a cheaper handset, for my koodo simcard once Im back to Canada. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Userlevel 7
Badge +4