Koodo Community
Solved

Koodo network disabled while in dual sim card data plan

• 28 February 2019
  • 9 replies

Hi,
I have a dual sim on my android phone (ASUS Zenfone Max ZC550KL) which works very well for voice/sms functions. To use a data plan, I have to select on which SIM card the data service network will be used.
My problem is as following: When the data service network is selected on the Koodo SIM card, everything works well. If the data service network is selected on the other SIM, I'm instantly disconnected from Koodo network.
I have tried several carriers, it is always the Koodo network who disconnects me if the data service network is not selected on its SIM. I have tried to put the Koodo SIM card on both slots, the problem persists.
Note that I'm using prepaid Koodo, and whether I have data or not in my boosters, the problem remains.

Any idea to resolve this ?
icon

Best answer by Timo Tuokkola 28 February 2019, 15:59

From https://www.asus.com/zentalk/ph/thread-81651-1-1.html:
"About the "dropping data connection if you get a call on any SIM", if your operator doesn't support or your location doesn't have 2G network, this situation would occur. The reason is that our phone doesn't support VoLTE and if one SIM is using 3G, the other SIM is forced to use 2G network due to hardware limitations."

Koodo doesn't have a 2G network. If the non-koodo sim is set to use 3G data that will always prevent the koodo sim from connecting.
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From https://www.asus.com/zentalk/ph/thread-81651-1-1.html:
"About the "dropping data connection if you get a call on any SIM", if your operator doesn't support or your location doesn't have 2G network, this situation would occur. The reason is that our phone doesn't support VoLTE and if one SIM is using 3G, the other SIM is forced to use 2G network due to hardware limitations."

Koodo doesn't have a 2G network. If the non-koodo sim is set to use 3G data that will always prevent the koodo sim from connecting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From https://www.asus.com/zentalk/ph/thread-81651-1-1.html:"About the "dropping data connection if you get a call on any SIM", if your operator doesn't support or your location doesn't have 2G network, this situation would occur. The reason is that our phone doesn't support VoLTE and if one SIM is using 3G, the other SIM is forced to use 2G network due to hardware limitations."

You obviously havent tried this with Telus, Public, Virgin, or Bell, as they would also experience the same issues as they dont utilize a 2G network either
Thank you Timo, you put me on a track to solve the issue. I need to force the other carrier SIM (Rogers) to be on 2G, while Koodo is set on 3G (even if I don't use data). With this configuration I have both networks online.
But this comes with a high price... 2G seems connected but do not transfert any data.

Since I don't want to use Koodo Data plan, why does it absolutely needs to be set on 3G ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thank you Timo, you put me on a track to solve the issue. I need to force the other carrier SIM (Rogers) to be on 2G, while Koodo is set on 3G (even if I don't use data). With this configuration I have both networks online.
But this comes with a high price... 2G seems connected but do not transfert any data.

Since I don't want to use Koodo Data plan, why does it absolutely needs to be set on 3G ?

That might be a better question to ask on the Asus forum. They will have more knowledge on that as it is a device specific question
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As I said before, Koodo does not HAVE a 2G network. The phone can't connect to a network that does not exist.
Thank you for your help guys.
I just understand why it works with Rogers then, they still have 2G online: https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/04/rogers-extends-availability-of-gsm-gprs-network-to-december-2020/
So I am going to attempt to use the same basic configuration as the OP.

My question is, could you not have your koodo sim on 4G and your secondary sim on 3G ?

I am a bit perplexed of why his phone is trying to use 3G primary and 2G secondary networks... is it limited by his phone ?

Has anyone successfully used dual sims with koodo and another 4G network? If so please share your experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My question is, could you not have your koodo sim on 4G and your secondary sim on 3G ?

I am a bit perplexed of why his phone is trying to use 3G primary and 2G secondary networks... is it limited by his phone ?

Has anyone successfully used dual sims with koodo and another 4G network? If so please share your experience.

As stated in the answer I posted above, for the OP it was a limitation of the phone: "The reason is that our phone doesn't support VoLTE and if one SIM is using 3G, the other SIM is forced to use 2G network due to hardware limitations."
If you plan to use one SIM in 4G and the other on 3G, be very sure that your phone supports that. Also be aware that not all phones are able to use VoLTE on koodo's network. Only a few of the phones koodo carries are oficially supported, and non-koodo phones are officially not supported. YMMV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not Koodo and Koodo but I did have two Public Mobile SIMs in my OnePlus 3 for about a month, both using both UMTS (3G) and LTE (4G) networks as needed. This problem the OP and you are having is 100% a hardware limitation. I thought it was only older models that had the restriction that the second slot could only run on 2G, but apparently some newer devices like yours do as well. Next time, maybe pick up a dual-SIM OnePlus device? 🙂