Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Koodo Galaxy S2 Kit Kat update? I hope so

http://www.sidhtech.com/news/android-4-4-kit-kat-update-phones-list/10023209/ Is this list right? The Galaxy S2 is listed, will that mean Koodo's Galaxy S2X will get it? Or is it the international version where with like Jelly Bean we have to wait 3 months after to receive Thanks in Advanced John

17 replies

Userlevel 3
I have an S2 and I have 4.1.2 for software version and nothing was released recently.
Userlevel 7

We have also heard from Android Central who also confirmed that KitKat would support handsets with lower memory. They even made a list of handsets that they said [b]could get the update.

This is not an official list. It's speculation by Android Central
Userlevel 2
[quote=Chad Burr]

We have also heard from Android Central who also confirmed that KitKat would support han...

He is right... They are speculations so far.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No the S2 will not see Android 4.4 Kit Kat and it's very unlikely to even see Jelly Bean 4.3 if it does that will be the final update. I personally think it's reached its update life where it sits now. Also with all updates you have to wait 3 - 6 months after the international version gets it. If updates are important then get a Nexus device which always gets updates first until the phone specs won't allow it.
Userlevel 1
Just root it and install a Kit Kat based custom ROM when it comes out. Get a reliable one like Cyanogenmod.
Userlevel 7
If you really want JB and your no longer under warranty, or you don't care about warranty. You can always root it and install a custom rom like SlimBean or Cyanogenmod. Head over to the XDA Forums for more info on how to do it. My S2x ran fine on Cyanogenmod
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

If you really want JB and your no longer under warranty, or you don't care about warranty. You ca...

Beat me too it Humberto
Chad Burr wrote:

If you really want JB and your no longer under warranty, or you don't care about warranty. You ca...

Yeah I am running cm 10.1 so far but stock kit kat would be nice on the phone. Also it Google said that Kit Kat can be run on low spec devices.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Cm just started coding KitKat so give it some time and hopefully the team involved with the T989 will turn around and make it too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

It can be used on lower specs devices but they mean devices being built now, it costs alot to update phones and as the S2x is like 3 years old now it doesn't make sense for Samsung financially to upgrade it when many ppl upgrade every 2-3 years when their contracts are up.
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

A big, fat, large thumbs up for SlimBean! This ROM just flies!
4.4.1 is running like a buttery dream thanks to CyanogenMod 11 nightlies
DanoLostTheGame wrote:

Runs so well put it on here on Monday no problems 🙂
DanoLostTheGame wrote:

Same - no FC issues on any of my apps either
Userlevel 1
DanoLostTheGame wrote:

Haven't had time to keep up, any major bugs with the nightlies? Really want to put KitKat on my S2X sooner rather than later.
DanoLostTheGame wrote:

Known bugs - should be fixed: -In-call: mute button doesn't actually mute anything -Camcorder preview is out of focus -Camcorder does not actually record to storage -Netflix crashes on launch -Making calls with wired earbuds is impossible due to really low volumes. -Moving apps to SD card does not survive reboot -With Settings->Audio->Screen lock sound checked, music playing when the device is locked and unlock will distort briefly. Will likely never be fixed: -Contacts on SIM card are not accessible -Changing call forwarding from this ROM is broken
Userlevel 1
DanoLostTheGame wrote:

Awesome, thanks! A couple of things in there that I need, so I'll give it a bit more time.