Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Koodo and how the handle defective phones they sell

I have a Note 2 which constantly will not get texts or calls,it shows 4 bars for signal strength. It is the second note 2 the first had the same problem.the first one koodo changed the sim card ,it did not work.They sent it back for repairs ,that did not work.they exchanged it for the current note 2 i have and it is in for repairs same problem the only time i have had cell service is when i have had a loner phone.While i an writing this my bill just came in.The cell is from koodo i upgraded to it in september of this year and had nothing but problems since.After getting 2 defective cell phones i asked if i could return it for a refund the answer was no.Currently looking at the competition service at koodo is not making me happy.

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Sorry to hear that. To be fair though, Koodo is only a retailer and does not make the phones. It sounds like Koodo did a lot to help you though, just unfortunate Samsung sent Koodo phones which are having issues as you describe. Good luck, but I wouldn't hold out for better service elsewhere.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Oh no! I'm personally not a fan of samsung. What happens if you put someone else's koodo sim in the phone? If it works then its a Koodo issue with the account or sim. If it doesnt work then it is an issue with the phone and you need to hunt down samsung to get them to fix it right
Badge +4
Your Note 2 is still well within the one year warranty period and since this issue has not been deemed user neglect, the ball is in your court. Send it back to Samsung, pickup a loaner and hopefully Samsung will get the message and fix the device once and for all or give you a brand new Note 2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To be fair, this experience would not be any different with any service provider in Canada. Nobody will issue a refund after 15 days. Nobody does their own repairs. A Samsung will get sent to the same repair centre for warranty purposes no matter which carrier you're with. If Koodo starts to hassle you about sending out your phone, then that's a problem with Koodo. Otherwise, it's clearly a Samsung problem here. I've had a similar issue with another manufacturer, and since it wasn't purchased through Koodo, I had to pay for all of the shipping to the repair centre (3 times at my own cost until they finally got it right). I was persistent at pestering the manufacturer's social media accounts until my issue was resolved.
Userlevel 4
Ivan wrote:

To be fair, this experience would not be any different with any service provider in Canada. Nobod...

You've given a brilliant idea for us users Ivan, list the issue on the manufacturer's social media accounts. Not much can be done when they produced and sold lemons!-:) People often forget that Bell, Koodo, Rogers etc didn't manufacture the phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

To be fair, this experience would not be any different with any service provider in Canada. Nobod...

This is where Apple's servicing and warranty system is superior to Samsung
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Whatever my thoughts about Apple as a company may be, their after-sales support has been exemplary. Having so many physical locations in Canada sure helps as well, so that I don't have to deal with shipping.
Ivan wrote:

Walmart do not make what they sell but they stand behind their merchandice
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Walmart also does not subsidize any of the products they sell. A significant percentage of every unit they sell is profit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Walmart will not stand behind any cell phone they sell past 14 days (prepaid) or 15 days (postpaid). Some items may be retuned up to 30 days past the sale. But in any case, anything that's defective must be claimed through the manufacturer. Shipping may or may not be covered by the manufacturer, but Walmart certainly won't be taking care of that. Source: http://www.walmart.ca/en/help/returns/return-policy
Userlevel 4
Dennis you're right. This should at least help with non-iPhone phones! http://koodomobile.com/en/on/extendedwarranty.shtml
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sheila wrote:

Dennis you're right. This should at least help with non-iPhone phones! http://koodomobile.com/e...

It's a little late for an extended warranty once the horse has been sent to the repair barn twice... In any event, just exchanging phones every few weeks till the warranty is up is not giving anyone any satisfaction.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Download from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cls.networkwidget or something similar. Gives readings for voice and data in dB units. The bars the phone normally shows are just barely decorations. Will eliminate local conditions as your problem. Had a local problem with my Note II and trees galore at home in a rural area and was able to find a “hot spot” where everything works, though this may not apply to you. Digital phones will either work or not... no in between, so marginal signal = periods of Ø rather than calls with static. Toggling in and out of airplane mode will "wake" your network settings. If all else fails, buy the unlock code from Koodo and sell the phone on the used market. With the Note 4 going for $800, $200-250 is not a lot to ask for a one-year old Note II, which generally has a pretty good reputation. Mine has worked flawlessly on Koodo and on an AT&T compatible carrier in the US. _____________________ If you see an answer you like, please give it a star
Userlevel 6
The Note II has been known to be glitchy so you might want to pick a different model Ian. If your phone is within warranty Samsung should simply give you a different model if this is your second kick at the can.