Koodo Community

Kiosk and customer service complaint

• 27 August 2018
  • 7 replies

I was sent a referral code by my father on July 31st. As I didn't know when I was going to pick up a new phone I waited on reading the email. On August 12th I happened to have an opportunity to visit the Koodo Kiosk in Brockville, ON. The gentleman there was kind, and helped me pick out the phone I wanted, and get me signed up for a plan. During the transaction though, I mentioned the referral code and he told me not to worry, that I could apply it when I got home. I did have access to it on my current device and would have been able to sign up then and there before completing my phone purchase and data transfer, however he assured me that it wasn't necessary at that time.

I went home and remembered about the email three days later. I submitted the referral request on August 15th. I was worried when I read the email as it did say that I would have had to submit it before signing up but hey, the kiosk guy knew what he was talking about, right?

It turns out he didn't. My referral claim was refused. When I asked why, I was told it had to be done within 30 days of activating my phone. It WAS within 30 days in my opinion so I asked for clarification, and was told the proper order to submit it. Fine.

So I'd like to submit a complaint about this kiosk for misleading me during my phone activation and causing me to miss out on a $50 credit. I asked the Refer a Friend Team who to complain to, and received no response. I asked on Facebook and Twitter and received no response. I emailed the Refer a Friend team again today to ask who I should complain to, and instead of forwarding me, providing contact information, or otherwise helping me or answering my question, they copy/pasted their last response. I asked again (I'm a glutton for punishment and surely the customer service folks couldn't be so obtuse?) but have yet to receive a response.

WHO DO I COMPLAIN TO? It seems like no one I've spoken to so far cares that a Koodo employee is giving out incorrect information that is costing me and my family a total of $100 incredit. Yes, I processed the referral late, at the advice of a Koodo employee. Fine, I didn't read the fine print, and because of that I must suffer. But it doesn't seem like anyone I've attempted to communicate with at Koodo really cares. I was wrong to listen to a Koodo employee, so I'm not allowed to complain?

+Alan

7 replies

Badge +4
The store where you had the interaction with the employee would be who you complain to. They might even offer you some deals on accessories if they agree that the employee screwed up. 
The store where you had the interaction with the employee would be who you complain to. They migh...Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm not holding my breath though, if their customer service is as opaque as Koodo's has been so far.
Badge +4
The store where you had the interaction with the employee would be who you complain to. They migh...I wouldnt hold my breath either but its worth a shot. Good luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Alan: I think you might have missed steps somewhere.

- You would have to click on the "Redeem" from your referral email. In the redeemed email, you need to enter your name and email into the system.
- At store, you need to use your email address (same address that you entered before) to register. The agent at store properly just try to activate using the email you provided.
- At home, after activation, you can enter your number into the system.

The agent  job was to activate using your provided email. There should not be a "code" for him to enter though.

- You would have to click on the "R...
Yeah, it's not that. Having read the email now I know I processed it incorrectly. It's just that the gent at the Kiosk told me that I didn't have to do it when I asked, moments before activating my account. Turns out I should have ignored him and done it anyway, as I missed the activation window. 100% legit missed it, I get that.

My complaint is that no one seemed to care that I was told to hold off on redeeming the referral when I asked. I've contacted the Kiosk now and am chatting with Mindy, who is looking into it. Hopefully she'll be able to at least let the guy know that he cost me $100. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Alan: you only have $50... the other person have $50 if everything went smoothly. Refer a friend is like "extra" credit and the responsibility was totally on customers though. It would be tough to get back if you missed... https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/common/terms.pg

Regarding the agent, you could make a complaint directly to Koodo (email/facebook messaging /call), they will review it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sounds like a reasonable mistake since it is a 2 step referral and if you received the referral email prior to signing up, maybe Koodo will be nice and fix this for you (of course it is solely at their discretion.

Send them a private message via facebook or twitter