Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Just signed up for prepaid - HTC Sensation 4G not finding network

I bought a prepaid Koodo SIM card, put it in my unlocked non-Koodo HTC Sensation 4G, and went through the prepaid activation without any issues; however, while it accepted the IMEI, at no point did it offer to send a text to my phone or do any other kind of phone confirmation/setup, and now that I've activated the prepaid SIM, my phone is not finding or recognizing the Koodo network. On the phone, the network mode is set to GSM / WSDMA. When I search for network operators, Koodo does not appear on the list. According to the coverage map, I am well within 4G HSPA range, not anywhere near a dead zone, and I've never had trouble connecting to networks at this location. And yes, I restarted the phone. Do I just have to wait? I found it surprising that during the activation process there was no mention of how to activate my phone, or whether there would be a delay. Thanks!

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Unless you have the Canadian version of this phone (bell), it isn't compatible with koodo
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Where did you get your HTC from? According to this, if you have a T-mobile version of the phone it wont work with Koodo. You will need the Bell version of this phone to work on Bell/Virgin/Telus/Koodo http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_sensation_4g-3922.php
Userlevel 7
Dennis wrote:

Where did you get your HTC from? According to this, if you have a T-mobile version of the phon...

@dennis, I did the same thing!
Userlevel 7
Unfortunately they do not
Well, that would be disappointing. Why would the US version not work? Do they not use the same frequencies?
BTW...although I DID search before posting, I searched a bit more after and found a post indicating that prepaid services can take a few hours to activate. So perhaps I just have to wait (and hope that my phone is compatible).
Ugh. I do have the T-Mobile version. Ah man. 😞
Userlevel 7
Derek Kind wrote:

Ugh. I do have the T-Mobile version. Ah man. :-(

Can I suggest an upgrade ? The Moto G is an excellent step up from that and has a 200$ price tag for prepaid. That's not a bad price for a quad core android.
Userlevel 7
Derek Kind wrote:

If you have a staples nearby they are selling three different acer dual core androids under 200$ unlocked.
Derek Kind wrote:

Okay, despite what I said before, you got me thinking. I see the Moto G at Virgin and Telus for $150 prepaid. Would there be much trouble unlocking those and using them on any network in Canada?
Userlevel 7
Derek Kind wrote:

Cellunlocker.net 5$
Userlevel 7
Derek Kind wrote:

But all of those carriers may make you activate a prepaid line to buy the phone
Derek Kind wrote:

Okay, excellent. I'll look into it. Again, thanks!
Thanks for the speedy response, guys! Much appreciated to get it figured out right away, although the news is bad. I'll have to try another phone. That Moto G definitely looks nice, but sadly I'm not in the market for a $200 phone right now.
Userlevel 7
Derek Kind wrote:

Thanks for the speedy response, guys! Much appreciated to get it figured out right away, although...

Don't forget Kijiji too
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Derek Kind wrote:

Thanks for the speedy response, guys! Much appreciated to get it figured out right away, although...

Just make sure to check the phone isnt reported stolen. http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/ And do it in a safe public location. I was attacked and mugged during a kijiji cell phone transaction
Derek Kind wrote:

True. Thanks for the help! 🙂
Derek Kind wrote:

Geez - woah! I have heard stories about Kijiji transactions gone bad. :-\
Userlevel 7
Derek Kind wrote:

Ooh yeah forgot about that. Be careful