Koodo Community
Question

Just killed my IPhone, Looking at MAYBE trying Samsung...any thoughts?

I've heard a LOT of complaints about Android and Galaxy class phones, that the memory fills up quickly and you can't move apps to the SIM, that they freeze and crash a lot, and I know from personal experience that the software (ACE, Evergreen) interface is utterly useless on the low end stuff. Coming from ITunes, I'm kind of spoiled with the oh-so-easy sync and backup, and MP3's just load in and work...period. The ACE/Evergreen were nightmarish to try to load music onto, and backing them up to my PC via the software from Samsung was an exercise in frustration (I literally smashed my Evergreen against the wall I got so upset at how useless the software was). So... My question is: Ace2 and S2. What have they got going for them as compared to my much missed IPhone4. Should I bite the bullet and get another IPhone (reason I'm hesitating, the Koodo choice is only 8g, useless for MP3 loading), or is there something Samsung had done to improve upon the nightmare that was the Ace. The Evergreen, btw, an excellent phone across the board, once you got past the dreadful software, and it not only survived the hit (I really threw this puppy), it didn't even have a scratch on it. I would have tolerated the lack of MP3 had this phone had WiFi on it, which is why I'm having to consider actual smart phones.

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've used many different phones and OSs, and if you won't find an iTunes-like backup experience. I quite hate iTunes as a music management software, but no backup options I've used on other platforms are as good as iTunes. Most of Samsung's products are pretty bad, excluding their flagship models. If you get a Galaxy S2, S3, Note, or Note 2 - chances are you'll be happy. I recommend staying away from lower models.
First off to make things easier when transferring music on Android don't use Samsung's software t...Or NFC, if your phone supports it! (Newest Galaxy models, Nexus S, GNexus, Nexus 4, etc). Tap phones together, automatic transfer over bluetooth/wifi direct.
Userlevel 1
First off to make things easier when transferring music on Android don't use Samsung's software t...If I may add, a friend can easily send you an mp3 file (or any file for that matter) through bluetooth.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
First off to make things easier when transferring music on Android don't use Samsung's software there is no need to use any software at all which is what's great about Android. To transfer music just put your SD Card into your computer and drag and drop to the SD Card (This can be done with any files) or if you don't have a SD Card reader on your PC then connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable and just drag and drop onto your phone or SD Card in the phone. Then you can download an app such as this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.malcolmsoft.powergrasp Which is a file manager and you can place any file in any place of the phone. You can even unpack Zip & Rar files just like on your computer with it. Makes File transfer easier than using iTunes or KIES software. If you want to make sure your getting a phone that will last and for the next couple years it will be updated to the newest Android OS then get the Galaxy S3, it also has a larger display, faster processor and more Ram for multitasking & more features then any phone Koodo carries. It worth the extra investment in my eyes. If your strapped for cash or don't want to pay $500 for a phone then grab the Galaxy S2x, it's also a great phone with a larger display then the iPhone & a fast dual core processor it doesn't have as many features as the Galaxy S3 but when it gets the Android 4.1.2 JB update soon it will have a few more than it does now. It however has been said that the Galaxy S2x will not receive any more updates after this next major one but Samsung's always surprising you so who knows. So if you don't want to use Custom ROMs then that could be an issue. Really though it's not like the version it will have on it soon can't do everuthing you want it to do. Grab a Galaxy and don't get frustrated if you have any issues just come back here and ask us and we can always solve your issue instantly, there's nothing all us Android lovers here can't solve and let you know how to do something. However if you have alot of money invested in Apples ecosystem (games/apps/music) then you might want to get the iPhone again & really that's the only reason I personally would stay with them.
Oops, my bad, my above comment should say that an 8 GB and 16 GB are available from Nexus 4.
Userlevel 6
If you want a more powerful phone, get the N4. I've got both & the N4's quad-core is definitely worth it. 16GB should be fine & the S3 can only use its SD slot for media, not App Data so it's not that essential for my uses. I've got a couple thousand pics & almost 200 Apps on my N4 & I'm fine. Quad-core makes a huge difference plus the unlocked price can't be beat. Either get the N4 or wait for the S4.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you want a lot of space, don't get the Nexus 4. It is a really nice phone, but it lacks a mic...Really, I've got 16gb of internal and a 16gb SD Card on my Galaxy Note 2 and I'm constantly trying to make room for new things. It all depends on how you use your device. I download alot of TV shows that I've missed & play alot of games that are a gb or 2gb each so it doesn't take much for me to fill mine. At least with My Galaxy Note 2 I can still get a 64gb card and place all my Videos, pics and music on it and have 16gb for my games/apps. I couldn't handle having only 16gb and no external personally.
If you want a lot of space, don't get the Nexus 4. It is a really nice phone, but it lacks a mic...16GB of storage is nothing to scoff at. I have a Nexus 4 (had a Nexus S through Koodo previously) and I've never even come close to running out of space. I keep 5-6GB of music regularly, and don't even need to use Google Play Music Streaming, since I can store all my music right here on my device. Since it has a 720p front/1080p back camera, as well as that fantastic photosphere/panorama mode (and just a goddamn overall awesome camera) I take quite a few photos/videos as well. Never even come close to running out of space. That, combined with the specs: 1.5ghz quad core (fastest on the market at the moment), 2gb ram, 4.7" IPS display! (compared to Samsung's garbage AMOLED displays with no contrast), and the price tag that's HALF of the Samsung GS3 makes it a must buy. There's just nothing better out there for the price it's offered. Also, the S3's price will not come down for another half year or so at least, looking at how the S1 and S2 fared when the newer respective model came out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you want a lot of space, don't get the Nexus 4. It is a really nice phone, but it lacks a mic...I use an s2. Love it. Had optimus one for a year before that
If you want a lot of space, don't get the Nexus 4. It is a really nice phone, but it lacks a microSD port. Instead I would get an S3, the price should be coming down when the S4 comes out. Or if you could afford it, just get the S4. But if you are on a tight budget, even the S2 is an excellent phone (I've done quite a bit of research recently).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you're into the simplicity of the iPhone you can certainly set any Android up to look and feel like one. That's the beauty of android it's you anyway you want it. Will there be a learning curve? Yes Will you be frustrated? Yes But just like your iPhone there are tons of forums or there and communities like this one waiting to help get you enjoying your android. As far as which one to get i say get as much phone as you can afford: john's suggestions are going to yield you a high end device and if you're coming from iPhone then that's probably the way to go.
Userlevel 6
I say get the S3 or Nexus 4 from the Play Store.