Koodo Community

Community

Solved

JellyBean 4.1.2, Galaxy S2x - Was it what you hoped for?

Badge +4
We've finally received the long awaited JellyBean 4.1.2 upgrade today. I wanted to get an overall sense of what people like or perhaps dislike about the new OS. Views on overall battery life, device performance, the new UI, or any issues pertaining to the upgrade overall. Was it what you hoped for? Let's hear it! Quick guide to those having difficulty with Kies - click image to enlarge.

91 replies

I'm really enjoying it so far. Battery life seems to be a bit better than before but I've noticed a weird thing it'll leave wifi running after it's been locked even when it's been disabled. It's definitely faster IMO, this thing flies now with project butter and I've yet to see any lag even with Power saving mode enabled. Gotta say it was definitely worth the wait!
And with the added ability to receive OTA's I'm wondering if we'll be seeing any more possible fixes or updates in the future.
Badge +4
thenixter wrote:

And with the added ability to receive OTA's I'm wondering if we'll be seeing any more possible fi...

Rumour has it possibly 4.2.
I tried T-Mobile Jelly Bean and its exactly identical, sans the T-bloat. It's fast because of project butter optimization, but for some reason my battery won't charge to 100%. Always at 98%. Kies soft-bricked my phone had to install TWRP to get phone to boot. Phone shows 2 counts for downloads and I'm using 4.0.3 again. I think I'll stick with this software until I get my preordered S4 next week. Battery is comparable, but seems like a rushed update.
Badge +4
Cristhian Mejia wrote:

I tried T-Mobile Jelly Bean and its exactly identical, sans the T-bloat. It's fast because of pro...

Not sure if TWRP has it, I'm using cwm recovery touch 6.x.x.x and under Advanced, it allows you to wipe the battery stats, my S2x shows a full 100% charge. Here's an article on how to bring the flash counter back to NO instead of 2. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1578184
It feels awesome to use it finally last night. Much better than previous version. Samsung is not giving the feature like Multiview, Smart stay etc to S2 because maybe its CPU is slower hence it will lag in opening multiple programs at once. Overall great update!
Go to cnn.com play a video on the player and press on it. It will give you a pop out option and you can play it on the screen while you multi task.
Really wanted the multi-view, more than anything else actually. Disappointed in that regard. Google Now is the only thing that I think I'll realy notice. Probably gonna root it when the warranty expires to get multi-view on it.
Userlevel 5
OK. Do after much long hours of resetting my comp getting all the proper updates I needed to get Samsung lies downloaded on my Comp. What is the next step. I know there are Releasing the updates in stages. everyone will have the update by may. But do we get a notification or email letting us know when the rest of us are "eligible" for the update. because this chick is getting impatient 😛
HippieLongstocking wrote:

OK. Do after much long hours of resetting my comp getting all the proper updates I needed to get ...

After you've plugged in your phone and opened Kies does it not pop up and say that it's available for download then? I just randomly decided to plug it in yesterday and it said it was available on mine, although an email notification for an update would be nice lol.
Userlevel 5

OK. Do after much long hours of resetting my comp getting all the proper updates I needed to get ...

Nooooooooooo: '( I even clucked on tools and clicked on all the firmware Options and nothing
Userlevel 5

Clucked haha apparently I'm a chicken. I meant clicked

Hmm, peculiar...I'd say maybe give it a couple of days and see what happens although waiting is the worst. If you're feeling adventurous you could always try manually downloading the firmware from here http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ and flashing it yourself. Although if you're going to take that route definitely read up on it first!
Userlevel 5

Thanks buddy for Your replies. I've waited this long to not root my phone. I think this impatient horse can wait a wee bit longer: )

Anytime! Good call it's definitely safer. I wonder how Samsung chooses who the updates roll out to and when, be interesting to know if it has to do with when you purchased it or if it's completely random lol.
Userlevel 5

I've been pondering that in my brain when I was reading up on it
Badge +4

JB 4.1 would be a "global" launch in the sense that once it has past all the phases of testing it gets distributed to the masses. There shouldn't be any reason why you haven't received it yet. There are other devices (non-Koodo) scheduled to receive the 4.1.2 upgrade which is why they mention the upgrade will be rolled out in stages. Just to confirm the version you have, open up Kies, (you'll likely be prompted to update Kies again) go into Help and scroll down to Kies Information, there was an update early yesterday, so the the Kies software version should read 2.5.3.13043_14. Pull the battery out of your S2x, after 15 or 20 seconds re-install it. Open up Kies and while it's loading, attach the device via usb and see if that makes a difference.
Userlevel 5

I had no problem with kies. I did the update this morning with no problems:)
Badge +4

So you now have JellyBean on your S2x? Edit: Read your other post. Awesome!
Playing with it for a day so far, more cons than pros from my standpoint. I'm not upset or anything, it's certainly not all bad, but it just seems to be causing more of a hassle for me than anything. When the warranty expires, I'm going to root this thing and take control of it, until then, I can certainly deal with it. I'll probably find some ways to get some things back the way i liked it in the meantime, which might make the upgrade worthwhile in the end.
Userlevel 6
The new update was great, I feel like I was using my S3 with my S2X. Still thought they were too late to update it. Not really up to par with the Bell and Rogers variant. Koodo has to be more up there and request the updates from samsung, and not just wait for them to do it.
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

The new update was great, I feel like I was using my S3 with my S2X. Still thought they were too ...

Just pointing out that Rogers has the S2 and Bell has the S2 HD LTE, two completely different devices compared to the S2x. It's really out of Koodo's hands. TELUS carries the S2x and they were able to provide us with estimations as to when the OS upgrade would be available. It's safe to assume that Samsung deals directly with TELUS when it comes to OS upgrades, Koodo has very little say in the matter.
Userlevel 6
Erwin wrote:

The new update was great, I feel like I was using my S3 with my S2X. Still thought they were too ...

yeah i said variant, I didnt say its the same version.
Userlevel 4
TeaBird, open up Kies, and click on your device once it loads. there should be a dialogue that comes up telling you an upgrade is available
Userlevel 5
Yay! I woke up this morning plugged in my phone and to my surprise.... there it was the update. I was so ecstastic! It's all done. Already noticing the differences. My keyboard no longer lags when typing on websites!!!!!!!!!!!!