Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Jelly Bean update on samsung galaxy s2x gone wrong!!

i tried getting Jelly Bean 4.1 on my samsung galaxy s2x and something went wrong and now my phone is stuck at Odin Mode and says "Fireware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again" so i did try and it didnt work Please help me! i dont know what to do and i just want my phone to work again!

17 replies

Userlevel 6
To start over the process again, you need to reboot the phone in Odin mode. Do these steps: 1) Remove the battery, this should effectively shut your phone down. 2) Put the battery back in 3) With both hands, press in and hold the "Home" and "Volume Down" buttons 4) While holding all these buttons down, press and hold the Power button until the phone turns back on and vibrates. Once it does, release the Power button only. 5) Once you see the green Android robot on the screen release all buttons, and confirm that you want to continue by pressing Volume Up. 6) You are now in Odin mode. Plug your USB cable back in, and try again with Kies! Good luck!
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

To start over the process again, you need to reboot the phone in Odin mode. Do these steps: 1...

i did this and got to the part where i can choose to click the volume button up so i did and it just went back to "Fireware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again"
Userlevel 6

To start over the process again, you need to reboot the phone in Odin mode. Do these steps: 1...

and did you try Kies' recovery mode while this screen is up?

yes but it wont connect my phone then it said Error device not responding. to reslove the issue, reboot the device
Userlevel 6

Well, I'm afraid there ain't much more we can do "virtually"... Someone will have to take a look at your phone. You could always walk up to the Koodo booth in your local mall and inquire, they may have an answer we don't, or guide you in the right direction as to how to proceed from here.
Badge +4

Easier way to get into Odin or download mode: Remove/re-install battery Hold volume down key, then press and hold power button. Let go of power button after you feel a slight vibration, but keep holding volume down key until you see warning screen appear. Let go of volume down key, read warning screen, then press volume up key to continue to Odin mode. The "home" (capacitive-touch) button isn't necessary for Odin mode.
Userlevel 6

I had my S3 and S4 in front of me when booting into Odin, and completely forgot the Hercules only has capacitive buttons...
okay is there any way i can cancel all this and not mess around with it and just get back to my phone working?
Userlevel 6
samports wrote:

okay is there any way i can cancel all this and not mess around with it and just get back to my p...

You [i]may try to just remove/reinsert the battery and try to reboot, but don't get your hopes too high. There is a high chance you'll just have to try again with the update. If all else fails, there's always the option to download the factory image and flash it through Odin, but it's a large download (not too much of an issue if you have broadband at home though). In any case though, it's not a 5 minutes deal.
samports wrote:

okay is there any way i can cancel all this and not mess around with it and just get back to my p...

where can i get the factory image?
Userlevel 6
samports wrote:

let me find it out for ya
Userlevel 6
samports wrote:

There ya go http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SGH-T989D The first, labeled KDO, is the one you want. Be warned though, it's a large download! You need to download Odin to flash this too, not Kies.
samports wrote:

thank you! should i download it as stock firmware or Kernel file?
Userlevel 6
samports wrote:

stock firmware
samports wrote:

thank you so much! it works now and its updated to 4.1 thank you again!
so it works now but its says "insert SIM card" and it is insterted
Userlevel 6
samports wrote:

so it works now but its says "insert SIM card" and it is insterted

do you have another phone to test your SIM into?