Koodo Community

Community

Solved

is there a way to let only certain apps use data?

Userlevel 1
So I don't have a data plan, but I was wondering is there a way to let only certain apps on your phone able to use data because of my security app I want it to work without being connected to data.

6 replies

What phone?
Userlevel 1
KaneSlavik wrote:

What phone?

ace 2x
Userlevel 7
For android, I've tried a firewall program in the past but that really didn't help. Unless you're rooted there really isn't a lot of ways to block specific apps from using data besides disabling then until you want to use them. Not exactly prime if you're using your phone over wifi as well.
Userlevel 7
Depending on the phone you have, it might be possible... On Android 4.3 (I think) and up, go to Settings - Data Usage, then scroll to the list of apps showing which one has used data. Select an app you'd like to monitor. At the bottom of that page you'll see "restrict background data". Turn on your data plan and then see if you can use that app.
Userlevel 1
Ace 2x
Userlevel 7
B2theden wrote:

Ace 2x

Ah yeah then I don't think it's possible because the Ace II X is a lower end phone and so far isn't being updated with newer software... Might I recommend an upgrade to at least the Moto G?