Koodo Community

Community

Is the new Tab System fair?

Userlevel 2
Basically I'm going to upgrade towards a new phone, but the new tab system feels a bit cheap. My plan as of right now is $40 that I've been paying for the past 2-3 years and will take a certain % of the plan and contributes towards my old tab (pays off roughly $10/month). 

Now I recently visited a Koodo store and I had a full understanding of the new tab system. What I don't get is how does this benefit for me as a customer since the new tab system will add more money on top of my plan as suppose to literally take some % of the plan towards paying it off and not adding on top of it.

Now since I am eligible to get the new plans since my tab balance is $0, my only option to match my initial $40 a month is to get the crappy $30 plan + the $15 monthly with the moto x play, which will cost me $45. Not only will I pay more but will have overall less data (100mb as opposed to 400mb).

At this point I don't know since I don't want to change carriers since I still believe Koodo has the best service/price ratio out of all the cheap carriers.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
The plans with Fido and Virgin are pretty much the same as Koodo. They just have the "old" subsidy system where the cost of the phone is built into the price of the plan. The new Tab system Koodo put out is supposed to show people the true cost of owning handsets. It works, but it does negatively affect customers on the old system who want to upgrade. You'll have to take a higher plan to continue using the minutes/data you want with an upgraded device. There's really no way around it. You could always buy the device outright or put less down on the Tab initially but that's about it.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

The plans with Fido and Virgin are pretty much the same as Koodo. They just have the "old" subsid...

I see. I have no choice but to use the $30 plan just so I can meet my required budget. Question about the data. How does the additional data work?

For example, I get a 500mb plan, and the charge is $5/100mb. If I pass the 500 and ended up using 550mb, will I be charged the additional $5 or will it apply if I exactly reach 600mb?
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

The plans with Fido and Virgin are pretty much the same as Koodo. They just have the "old" subsid...

You will be charged an extra 5$ even if you only use 501mb
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

You say Fido and Vigin "subsidy system where the cost of the phone is built into the price of the plan".
How does this compare to the Manditory Tab Plus for most expensive Koodo phones?
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Tab plus (or any tab) isn't mandatory. And you can always pay more towards your device up front to bring the monthly price down (or eliminate it) Tab plus is an additional risk for Koodo so they want to reap the benefits of loaning you so much money interest free. I said reap right?
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

right you did
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

So according to the above, I can switch to a lower plan, so long the lower plan is within the same tier. Give that I have the 5s on $60 grandfathered plan, with $360 tab @ $15 what is the lowest price plan that I could switch to and keep the current $15 per month repayment schedule?
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

You can choose any plan you like, the tab repayment stays the same for 24 months from the date of purchase. The only plans you can't choose are tab plus plans
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

Excellent. thought I might of jiped myself out of an up coming Christmas Special plan .
Jonathan I wrote:

Are they not willing to grandfather anyone who wants to remain on the same set-up?

Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

I was able to keep my grandfathered plan, no problems or issues whatsoever.

Could not have been a smoother account set up for the 5s on a Tab.

I'm living in cottage country now with hydro AND Rogers, running wifi. So now I don't need my 6G 250min plan.

Koodo runs some really good Christmas Specials, but wasn't sure if I qualified for lower price plan because my Tab is tied to the $60.00 plan. But I'm good to!
Jonathan I wrote:

I don't get the happiness. As far as I understand, there is no way to keep the same plan when I upgrade my phone. All the new plans are more expensive, they do not include the 15% contribution, and then the tab charge is added to that as well. Its like two price increases in one upgrade. I hated Rogers, but at least they never made me change plans to get a new phone. Not in 10 years. I thought I would be a Koodo lifer, but not so sure now.
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

The CRTC out lawed the 3 year contracts, during the life of the 3 year contracts.

So it's a no wonder why prices went up across the board. They need their returns in 2 years now, instead of 3.

What amazes me, is that Koodo and others, is blamed.

The fact is some people that signed the 3 year contracts took their contracts to the CRTC and cried foul.

So this is the new normal across the board. Consider tit for tat differences, over all Koodo remains the best deal in town.
Jonathan I wrote:

This isn't relevant. I never had a contract with koodo, just a tab. I'd like to keep that tab because it's a good deal, but if I want a new phone I need to change my tab to a more expensive one. So I pay more for a phone, which is ok, because it's my choice, but I have no choice but to pay more for my plan which is not ok. It's a variation on the old bait and switch.
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

I think it is relevant because it speaks to the cause and affect that the old bait no longer exist and the switch, is now the new norm. I was no more pleased than you when this all came about, but in the end the old system no longer exists and we get to keep our grandfathered plans.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

It is irrelevant since your paying for the phone fully anyways so what's it matter about the 2 or 3 year thing at all...... It doesn't and Koodo charging more is doing nothing to keep customers so again it doesn't matter if it's 2 years or 3 years because they've always been free to leave whenever with koodo with no penalty.
Koodo is trying to manipulate ppls thinking that the rise in prices was needed and when you think for yourself you can see it's complete bullish. If ppl are free to leave whenever they want they need to be making ppl happy and feel that there's no need to look elsewhere for their service which is the opposite of what they're doing as more ppl are leaving than ever because ppl aren't as stupid as Koodo thought they were.
Jonathan I wrote:

We get to keep our plans only until we need a new phone. That's not grandfathered, maybe stepfather ed. Baited in with a good plan, and switched when we need a new phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

If it really makes anyone feel better, they can still bring in an unlocked phone from elsewhere, change their SIM on self-serve and leave their older plan entirely untouched.

In that case, any positive accumulation on the ancient tab will be worth about zero for the time being. May/may not work out $$$-wise, especially with the price of Moto handsets in Canada.
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

I purchased a motto G3 at Koodo Kiosk still owing on my tab and my tab contiued to keep ticking. With -$5.89 still owing I got a text deal choice and picked up the 5s, which killed my grandfathered tab and allows me to keep the plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

@Les Duggan 
You can keep your current plan when you upgrade your phone with Tab.
If you want to use Tab Plus, then yes, you have to change your plan to one of the Tab plus plan
http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/the-tab-what-it-is-and-how-it-works/Can-I-kee...
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

Can't he top up, up front costs and and take the $360 tab?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Sure he can.
I would pay more upfront to take the Tab and keep my plan.

Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

The only time you can pay more towards your tab is at inception, after that you either keep it and pay monthly or you pay it off in full on a one time shot.
Jonathan I wrote:

That's not what I was told in May when I signed up with Koodo.
Jonathan I wrote:

I appreciate all the info but truth is, I can't keep my plan. My plan includes a $6 (minimum) tab contribution, so a new phone that costs $15 on the tab should cost me $9. Two koodo reps told me the contribution goes away no matter what, so in effect a $15 tab charge costs me $21 to supposedly "keep my plan"