Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is texting faster on LTE?

I've noticed it takes only a second to send a text on LTE while it takes 3 seconds or more on HSPA. Is that true? Also, why does my phone randomly go out of service for few seconds or so? It seems to do that when it's changing towers or when I turn on wifi after it was off. Is it a network issue or a phone issue? I've had the same problem with Virgin prepaid.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Only when sending MMS (picture messages) because it sends those over your data connection. Texts that just contain text no it doesn't send faster on LTE. So basically the only thing it speeds up is data transfer or things that use the Internet such as your browser, Facebook, Email, etc. Keep in mind that LTE drains your battery about 35% faster than using HSPA so in my opinion LTE isn't all its made out to be, especially if your battery isn't lasting as long as you need it to.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Only when sending MMS (picture messages) because it sends those over your data connection. Texts ...

Well I've noticed that texting (not MMS) is faster on LTE... Guess it's not necessarily true then
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Only when sending MMS (picture messages) because it sends those over your data connection. Texts ...

If anything it's going to be marginally slower on LTE, since the phone has to switch back to HSPA before it can be sent.
SMS sends over voice network - MMS and video messaging sends through data. LTE is Data-so should not impact texts. What device is it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robski808 wrote:

SMS sends over voice network - MMS and video messaging sends through data. LTE is Data-so shou...

Thanks I already said that. No need to repeat what has already been said in a thread. Thanks.
Robski808 wrote:

SMS sends over voice network - MMS and video messaging sends through data. LTE is Data-so shou...

I think this comment was made to clarify your post and its more to the point. The OP specifies texts, and was confused by your post. As a new member, find it an odd response from a "mobile master".
Userlevel 1
What device are you using?