Koodo Community

Community

is samsung galaxy S8+ unlocked?

is samsung galaxy S8+ unlocked?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Mr. T No it is not its locked to Koodo. The only unlocked phones Koodo carries are Pixels.

You can get it unlocked however if your a koodo customer after 90 days on the account for a fee of $50. You can also unlock through a 3rd party like Gsmliberty.com or Cellunlocker.Net or even eBay which is a cheaper option. SideNote* Koodo will not sell you the phone unless your a customer of theirs
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can't he also wait until 2018 and get it unlocked for free? Or that's not the case?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Can't he also wait until 2018 and get it unlocked for free? Or that's not the case?

Yeah just not something I see worth mentioning unless they're exclusively asking about it since it's half a year away still.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The samsung S8+ should lock to the first sim you put in.  Which means it comes unlocked to start. but then locks itself to that first sim card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

The samsung S8+ should lock to the first sim you put in.  Which means it comes unlocked to s...

Are you sure Dennis, have you tried this?
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

The samsung S8+ should lock to the first sim you put in.  Which means it comes unlocked to s...

That is correct! That's how Samsung phones work. That's why they do a factory reset on first power up with a SIM card inserted.

The CSC is set and the phone is locked to whatever SIM is inserted first, resulting in a factory reset.

For example, if you bought one from Koodo, stuck in your Rogers SIM and turned it on for the first time.....

You'd lock it to Rogers. 🙂 All Samsung hardware across Canada is the same. This also goes for the software. The software is multi CSC, and contains the bloatware for all carriers. It just installs the correct bloatware apps depending on what carrier is locks to the first time a SIM is inserted. The upside is that you can flash an update from any carrier and it will work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Oh I knew if you unlocked the phone and put a different SIM in it then every time you put any different SIM in it that it performs a factory reset and loads the CSC for that carrier but I thought it was still locked to koodo/Telus from the get go still.
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

I can't speak for refurbs, but NIB is unlocked from what I've experienced. I was also told that by a Samsung Experience Store employee ages ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

No I was talking NIB, I know the ones from Samsung experience stores are factory unlocked but wasn't aware carrier models were in the way your saying. Maybe I'll have to try it out when I get my next Samsung phone. Oh and yeah they've been the way I thought theu were for the last 3 years because it pissed me off that just putting a public mobile SIM in after using it on Koodo it reset...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

They mention it here Paul

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Yeah but is he talking about carrier versions because Linus links to buying the phone from Amazon "unlocked" in the description of that video which I can see why he's pissed about that, I mean you wouldn't be pissed if you actually purchased it from a carrier because you'd expect that to happen
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Yes it is the Same with carrier locked ones.  I remember this happening to Jonathan
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Well I guess your right, that's pretty messed up. I guess that's a big reason Koodo won't sell high end devices to ppl unless they're a customer...thanks Samsung lol. Well that's my new piece of knowledge for the day, thanks everyone I stand completely corrected