Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is my Koodo phone already unlocked?

I purchased an S2X around Christmas (love it) and wanted to unlock it (just because I don't like having my phones locked, I have no plans to leave Koodo though, that's for sure!). Before sending for a code, I wanted to confirm the unlock screen would come up as expected when another non-Koodo or non-TELUS SIM card is inserted. However, when I put in a SpeakOut SIM (which I believe works on the Rogers network), it works fine. No unlock screen shows up. It recognizes the SpeakOut network in the status bar, and I can even make and receive calls to my SpeakOut number, no problem. I'm not complaining, but I am confused.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It sounds like your phone is indeed unlocked. If you want to check try entering this code into your dialer and it should tell you if your phone is locked or unlocked already #7465625#. Not sure if it only works on carrier branded phones I couldn't really test it because I have a Galaxy Note 2 that's factory unlocked and it doesn't work, says it's not connecting.
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

It sounds like your phone is indeed unlocked. If you want to check try entering this code into yo...

It's *#7465625# (needs the asterisk in front 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It sounds like your phone is indeed unlocked. If you want to check try entering this code into yo...

Oops thanks Rikkster
Userlevel 7

This is the second time I've heard of this. It actually happened to me as well. My s2x was already unlocked when I got it. Don't know how or why, but it was a happy incident.
Userlevel 1

If it says OFF on everything listed after the code, does it mean that is unlock? If it is, then mine is also unlocked!
Userlevel 1

I have a galaxy ace 2x and tried entering that code (*#7465625#) and it didn't work... It says (connection problem or invalid MMI code). Do you know why it didn't work? An also how to make it work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm not sure I get the exact same message and have no idea why, any idea Rikkster?
Badge +4

@Baduy: The code has worked for you. In a previous post you've mentioned that everything listed is OFF, meaning your device is unlocked. If you've rooted and flashed a custom ROM, say to JB 4.1, chances are that's what's causing the problem. I received the exact same message when inputting *#7465625#, (I had to perform the carrier unlock, I wasn't one of the lucky ones with an S2x already unlocked), difference being I was running the CM 10.1 JB 4.2.2 custom ROM. To make a long story short, I flashed back to stock ICS 4.0.4 and presto the USSD numbers went in without returning the error message "connection problem or invalid MMI". The conclusion I've come to, is that some of the USSD codes aren't compatible with versions of Android higher than 4.0.4. In your case Paul, I believe you have a device that's already received the Jelly Bean update (4.1 or higher) and you have an unlocked international version which could very well explain why the codes do not work on your device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ya it came from the factory running 4.1.1 and has been updated to 4.1.2 since so I've always had Jelly Bean ya.
Userlevel 1

@Rikkster: Thanks for the reply! The code worked on my stock S2x not on the stock Ace 2x. The Ace 2x was the one that I wanted to find out if it was unlock. What should I do to fix this?
Userlevel 1

Sorry Paul! Thanks to you too!
Badge +4

Does *#06# or *#1234# work?
Userlevel 1

They do but the other one doesn't. With this two codes, I don't have to press the call button to make them run, but with the other one I do! Any ideas of why it doesn't work?
Badge +4

Easiest way to tell if your Ace 2x is locked or not is to pop in a SIM card from another carrier, if a screen appears asking for the SIM unlock code, the Ace 2x is locked. At this point, I'm leaning more toward the possibility of corrupt firmware. You've mentioned that you were experiencing other issues with this device in the past. I wasn't able to locate stock firmware for the Ace 2x, so flashing stock firmware is out of the question. Have you ever rooted your Ace 2x and performed a NAND backup? If so, you might be able to revert back to an earlier time when the firmware was fully operational. If not, you'll probably have to send the device back to the manufacturer as the Ace 2x should still be under the one year manufacturer's warranty, (might be a good idea to jot down some notes explaining the problems your having with the Ace 2x and send the notes along with your device), or see if you can exchange the device at a Koodo store.
Userlevel 1

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply!!!! The S2x was the phone having the problems not Ace2x. The problems with the S2x, seem to have been fix with the update. Hopefully that is the case!!!! The Ace2x cannot use the code (*#7465625#), the other codes worked fine. Do you know why is not allowing me to use that code?
Thanks Paul! The code works perfectly, just missing the (*) in front (*#7465625#), I only mention it in case anybody else wants to try it, not to be a dick because I am appreciative of the info. Edit: I see somebody already pointed that out. Indeed it appears all the locks are "OFF" like Chad above. Luck of the draw I suppose. Not that unlock codes are terribly expensive, but I don't mind the extra cash in my pocket 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NBS wrote:

Thanks Paul! The code works perfectly, just missing the (*) in front (*#7465625#), I only men...

Ya sorry I forgot the * missing Rikkster corrected me though above, still glad to hear it worked. Have a great day NBS 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This can sometimes happen, as a batch of a certain model may have been intended for one client, but then repurposed. It's what happened with the initial batch of Nokia Lumia 920 phones from Rogers. They were intended to be developer devices for the Microsoft BUILD conference, but for some reason were sent to Rogers. Subsequent 920s were locked.
Badge +4
FREE unlock for the SGH-T989, T-Mobile's variant, confirmed, works flawlessly on Koodo's SGH-T989D, no root required. First, dial *#7465625# to check the lock status of your S2x, if all locks say "OFF" then there's no reason to proceed any further. If all locks say "ON" follow the procedure in the link below and you'll have an unlocked S2x in about 5 minutes. Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2024514
Userlevel 7
jusdance wrote:

Just go to settings-general-network and check the lock status there and you can find to what netw...

Thanks, I'm sure after four months this has been resolved
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
jusdance wrote:

Just go to settings-general-network and check the lock status there and you can find to what netw...

It's spam, check their profile the 2 questions they've answered are to spam the unlocking service. SCAM