Koodo Community

Community

Solved

is calling barrie ontario long distance from newmarket ontario

I just want to know if I call Barrie Ontario from my office in Newmarket Ontario will I billed long distance charges? if not do i need to just dial the area code plus the phone number or should I put a 1+area code + phone number?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The easiest method to use is to place the call without using 1 when dialing. If you get the warning before the call is place, then you know it's long distance. You can hang up when you hear the message and you won't be charged.

Are you certain you don't have nationwide minutes? Most plans do.
My plan says unlimited Canada-Wide Calling so why am I going to be dinged long distance? I have the unlimited texting and calling package for $53 + the cost of the phone at $15 per month. I made an attempt but was informed that I should stay on the line for my call to be completed and long distance charges may apply. I hung up just in case there is a long distance charge.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
mathew j wrote:

My plan says unlimited Canada-Wide Calling so why am I going to be dinged long distance? I have t...

The automated long-distance warning system doesn't know your plan. It only informs people that it's a long distance call and that they "may" be billed. If you've got Canada-wide calling, you won't get billed.
mathew j wrote:

My plan says unlimited Canada-Wide Calling so why am I going to be dinged long distance? I have t...

[i]Yes my plan says unlimited Canada-Wide Calliing. I guess that explains that.
Userlevel 4
mathew j wrote:

I get the same message all the time I make a long distance calls but no charges are applied. Computers like to joke sometimes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
mathew j wrote:

The message does say "long distance charges may be applied" not "will be applied. Never applies to me but I can see its usefulness to those with local minutes (while such plans still exist).
Userlevel 3
If the 'long distance charges' message bothers you simply add 1 as a prefix to the area code+ number and you won't hear it. Just make sure you check your usage occasionally to avoid overages. The after 5 pm and weekends free is a great perk of the plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
grampad wrote:

If the 'long distance charges' message bothers you simply add 1 as a prefix to the area code+ num...

Nobody's talking about being bothered by the message grampad, everyone's talking about it being useful because the question was to find out if it's long distance from place A to place B