Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Iphone 4S or a Sumsung s4 mini for my next phone.

I am trying to decide between a Iphone 4S or a Sumsung s4 mini for my next phone. Both come up to same price if I use a medium tab.

14 replies

Userlevel 2
S4 Mini. It's specs are better when compared to the 4S.
Userlevel 7
I have found that the build quality in iphones are pretty good and iOS is a super easy to use OS. The samsung S4 mini packs more of a punch hardware wise and it will be faster than the iPhone 4S since the 4S is a year and a half old while the S4 mini is a pretty new release. However both will not lag, the 4S despite being much older still keeps up in real time performance thanks to iOS. YOUR decision pretty much depends on what you prefer iOS or android 🙂 personally I would go for the S4 mini
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Niether, go with the Nexus 4 its twice the phone of either of the phones your looking at with a price tag thats $100 cheaper than the ones youve mentioned. It will always have the most recent version of Android as well before any other Android device. It packs a quad core processor and 2gb of RAM and is comparable to the full sized Galaxy S4 in performance. It has a very comparable build quality to the iPhone 4s as well with its glass back and front. You cant lose with the Nexus 4 at all and even though I have the Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Mega, & more Ive made the Nexus 4 my primary device its that great of a phone.
Userlevel 2
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Niether, go with the Nexus 4 its twice the phone of either of the phones your looking at with a p...

Definitely agree with Paul. I just put in for my phone upgrade and Nexus 4 was my first option(followed by S3 & Mega).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Niether, go with the Nexus 4 its twice the phone of either of the phones your looking at with a p...

OR you could wait for the Nexus 5 too
Userlevel 7

totally forgot about nexus 4, deffs go with the nexus

Paul - I was going to purchase the Nexus 5 as you suggested but then Moto G was introduced and I am hearing reviews it performs better... help please!
Userlevel 7

The Nexus FOUR is overall a better phone than the Moto G in several areas (camera, screen, processor, storage, comes unlocked and gets updates right away because it's nexus) but there's a $150 price difference. Performance is similar, if not close to identical, on each phone. The Nexus 5 is better than both but it's better to get that one from Google at $349 outright for the 16GB flavor and $399 for the 32GB.
Userlevel 7

also the nexus 4 battery life is not too great which is a BIG thing to consider when buying a phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'd say it really comes down to what's more important to you battery life or camera quality if storage size isn't an issue as both perform very well speed wise but the Moto G does run slightly smoother. If you don't take many pics except to post the odd thing to FB or Twitter ect and you don't play many games that can take upwards of 2gb of the only 5.5gb available to the user in the Moto G than I say get that. If you game or take a fair amount of photos with your phone then go for the Nexus 4 (which has like 12gb available to the user for games) if you want to use the tab. Then get a portable power pack to top up the Nexus 4 ' s fairly weak battery when needed. If your looking to spend $300 out of pocket then splurge the extra $50 and get the Nexus 5 from Google directly through through the Playstore as its a sizable upgrade in every single area from the Nexus 4 and worth every penny.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I must add that the S4 mini would be loaded with lots...LOTS of bloatware (4 to 5GB of app you will barely use and you can't remove except if you root it). This being said, the bloatware will make the phone slower than it is without it. Also who likes having 4-5GB staying there un-used. Personally, having used both, I would say go Apple. BUT, considering the S4 mini is cheaper and that it is a newer device (meaning you could still sell it in 1-2 years on Kijiji or LesPac) buy the S4 mini. With the 4S, it isnt guaranteed that you can still sell it for a reasonable price.
It all depends on what you want and need. Like if you like a simple clean go with the iPhone 4S. But if you want a phone with lots of features and make it your own then i say you go with the S4 mini.
Userlevel 5
I would say this also depends on what other devices you use in your daily life. Do you have any other Apple products that would benefit from you using iCloud?
Userlevel 7
This is a bit of a tougher call as the 4S has aged pretty well. They're both good mid-range devices. The issue is that the 8GB 4S model is going to run out of space pretty quickly and without microSD support, you'll be frustrated. The Nexus 4 doesnt have expandable storage either but it's 16GB. The S4 mini is 8GB as well but it supports expandable memory. Touchwiz is a bit bloated software, but they've toned it down a little for the S4 mini, and since its not an HD screen, it doesn't need as much power to run well either. 1.7 GHz dual-core and 1.5GB of ram is more than enough for Android considering the original galaxy S2 just got jelly bean and its packing a 1.2 Exynos and 1GB of RAM. However, both phones will have better cameras than the Nexus. You also have to worry about screen size. The 4S is the smallest at 3.7, the S4 mini strikes a good balance at 4.3, and the nexus 4 is 4.7 (but it has touch screen buttons). I still say the Nexus 4 is better value but there are merits to all of the devices.