Koodo Community
Question

international texting problem

• 14 October 2019
  • 7 replies

I am in Canada trying to send a text message abroad. But even with the phone number saved, my phone seems to remove the country code everytime I try. Therefore, the message is not going through. Is international texting restricted automatically? If so why and do I need to contact koodo to lift said restriction?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No its not restricted. By default you can text any number in the world. What phone do you have? Some have default settings to use for country codes when dialing out. Did you try adding + in front of the full number with country code as well?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Remove the contact and send it as a new number, then once it works, add it to your contacts list.

I tried to send it without adding the contact and only saved it after it would not use the country code. I did not use the + sign I just used 011+country code +1 (needed for cell phones in that country)+ phone number. 😐 I'm using  Samsung  A8 from 2018.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which country are you sending text to? I would suggest you try to use the +country code instead of 001+.. for texting

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I tried to send it without adding the contact and only saved it after it would not use the country code. I did not use the + sign I just used 011+country code +1 (needed for cell phones in that country)+ phone number. 😐 I'm using  Samsung  A8 from 2018.

So you would dial 011 40 1 phone number? I’m not sure it’s the right way to do it. Try without the 1? Telling us the country would help us. You could also ask him to send you an SMS and then go on from there.

Userlevel 5

Hello there!  I have verified the account. No issues with the number :). You can send international text messages the same way you send Canada/US messages, except for a difference in the dialing sequence. You must dial 011+ country code + region code + the recipient's number. The 011 at the beginning of the sequence routes the call to the international SMS gateway. A list of International Text Messaging Codes can be found on internet using a web search tool such as Google. Hope this helps. 

Thanks everyone for all your help. I was trying to text a number in Mexico which requires the 1 after the country code for calling or texting mobile phones, not for landlines though. So to call or text  a Mexico cell phone, (going from memory here) is 011+country code +1 + area code + phone number. It was not a familiar number to me, I was replying to a post I saw. so I couldnt ask the person to text me first. I used to text Mexico a lot but from my old lg phone never from my samsung since now we mostly use facebook. I think I will test it with some people I know to see if  the + makes a difference rather than the 011.