Koodo Community

Community

International Calling From Canada

Hey
Moto G, 5.1, $65 plan (no add ons)
I want to call and text, receive calls and texts, from Ireland. 
1) How much is it a minute to call, text, (and receive call and text) from Canada to/from Ireland? WITHOUT AN ADD ON
2) Which is the best add on to be able to cheaply or freely call Europe?
Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You tagged prepaid, but I believe you are on postpaid since there is no $65 plan for prepaid.

If there is no add-on : Pay-per-use rate for  Ireland is $0.50/min to make call.
With International Long Distance Saver Add-on($3/mo) : Long Distance Saver rate is $0.05/min to make call.  Plus using your minutes with or without add-on.

Receiving calls from Ireland use your minutes if you don't have unlimited minutes on your plan.

There is no extra cost to receive/send texts if you are in Canada.

Do you have  unlimited minutes included in yur plan?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would recommend unlocking your phone and taking a local SIM over there. Way cheaper
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

I would recommend unlocking your phone and taking a local SIM over there. Way cheaper

If the original poster is staying in Canada, Mayumi's solution is best. If it involves a trip to Ireland, then yours is better.

Either way, you have both covered all the bases as usual.

If a trip is in the offing:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

If OP is asking about roaming, then it might be.
But its title said "International Calling From Canada".

Add: I didn't see Bob's comment before submit.
Great info for Overseas Prepaid SIM.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

The part calls "from Ireland" confused me. Sorry for giving erroneous information.
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Hi Mila Rap:
1. For calling Ireland without an add-on, Mayumi gave the answer. If you're in Ireland and you would like to call Ireland, make sure your Moto G is unlocked (if it's still locked to carrier, $2-5 will get you the unlock code on eBay) and grab a local sim card, as that'd be cheapest, as mentioned by BobTheElectrician.
2. Best option to "cheaply or freely call Europe" is a bit of a daisy chain, but would give you dirt cheap calling to Europe. Here are the steps:

a) Assuming you're calling from Canada, with Koodo, add the $20 add-on for 1,000 minutes UK calling. I understand you're calling Ireland, but grab the 1,000 minutes UK calling add-on anyway. When you call a UK number from a Canadian wireless carrier, there's no distinction between wireline, wireless or VOIP prefixes in terms of rates. If you're travelling, or aren't using Koodo in the meantime for overseas calls, another cheap option is PhonePower, ~$25 USD per month which will give you 5,000 minutes per month which includes UK landlines in their cheapest world calling plan. Other options are out there, but this seems to be the best value for money that I've found so far.
b) Head over to http://www.freeuknumbers.com/ and open an account. There are other websites that do the same thing. Start adding UK numbers and assign them to forward to your contacts in Europe as you grab those UK numbers. They have a VOIP prefix, so normally they'd be more expensive to call from certain carriers, but not from carriers that make no distinction between UK number prefixes in terms of rates, and that should include Koodo.
c) Start calling those UK numbers. Calls will forward to your contacts. Enjoy dirt cheap, very generous calling allowances overseas!