Koodo Community

Community

Integrate a voip service like RogersOne or GoogleVoice

RogersOne is nice, but what if we had something like GoogleVoice integrated into Koodo. Googlevoice recently shut down the 403 loophole allow those of us Alberta to use the service; perhaps a joint venture? Launch KoodoGoogleVoice?

8 replies

What do you mean exactly? Like Skype? That aside, features like these cost a lot of money to implement and I'd rather Koodo have the basics, not the bells and whistles.
Not like Skype, but like Rogers1 or GoogleVoice. GoogleVoice runs on any Cell phone with a US number, or a 403 until a little while ago
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Would be nice if Fongo and Telus/Koodo did something like that. I know one global SIM carrier (Piranha) offers VOIP with their product... you can choose to make a call over the cellular network at full price, or use their VOIP service for something like 1 cent per minute. Obviously you'd only use that while on WiFI (their data cost is very high, as is the case with all global roaming providers)... but at least you do have a choice. So the idea not at all that far fetched, I like it 🙂
Userlevel 1
Hi Sophia ! Your suggestion will be nice if we were in a Wonderful World, but as you know Wireless Mobile Technology is not really well regulated like landline or cable in Canada, that means carriers could block certain ports that are used by any application that will benefit to customers if these providers do not see benefit out of it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can't you just download a voip call app from the Playstore? I don't know personally because a I've never used them but I've seen some on the Playstore and actually I think Facebook has the option to make voip calls now does it not?
Userlevel 1
Good Idea Paul, I also tried Magic jack, the problem is that I can only make free outgoing calls in canada and USA, but I could not get incoming calls and SMS with the number I was assigned.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dell Fongo has an app, also we use a device called OBiTalk which can route cell calls through your home router, as well as replace a landline altogether. I actually don't use any of them because I don't call that much on my cell, and when I do, 5 cents per minute is more than sufficient... But personally I think VOIP is the future and one day there won't be any distinction in what type of data on day, but I guess as long as carriers can get away with charging minutes and text separately, they will 🙂
I just got a text warning about Skype and usage from Koodo? They do realize it is a goal to work like RogersOne so you can use Wifi at home/work