Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Incoming calls go straight to voicemail on new Nexus 5

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their Nexus 5. All incoming calls go straight to voicemail and doesn't ring the device at all. It seems to happen randomly and can be fixed temporarily by toggling airplane mode on/off but the bug always comes back after a while. Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? I'm on the stock ROM and unrooted if that makes any difference.

25 replies

Userlevel 3
Try unplugging the battery and the sim card. If the issue persists you may have to contact tech support to see if there's an issue with the network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Haven't experienced this issue on my N5 at all. You could try doing a factory reset. Have you installed any apps for calling type functions?
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Haven't experienced this issue on my N5 at all. You could try doing a factory reset. Have you...

Strange... I've been avoiding doing a factory reset since it's a hassle to set everything back up, but I might resort to doing one soon. I have Skype installed but it is not set to be the default app for any call functionality... I'll try uninstalling it now just in case but I doubt it's the cause.

Haven't experienced this issue on my N5 at all. You could try doing a factory reset. Have you...

Factory reset won't help, been there done that still having the same problem.

Yeah I factory reset my device last night and I've run into the bug again today. I'm not sure what else I can do... Good to know I'm not the only person with this issue though.

And Google still did not fix this. It is not some rare bug or as they originally claimed a provider issue. This phone has issues for sure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

4 of us mobile masters have the Nexus 5 and have since the first batch was sold by Google on release day and have not encountered this issue at all but it was an issue with the first build of 4.4 yes but since then they released 4.4.1 and then 4.4.2 and have fixed the issue in 4.4.2 it it was the reason for pushing the 4.4.2 update a day after they pushed 4.4.1 was specifically to fix the voice mail issue.

My Nexus 5 is also directly from Google and part of the initial batch. If I remember correctly, the fixes in 4.4.1-4.4.2 was to address voicemail notifications not appearing until the device was rebooted. See this news article: http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/11/11/psa-nexus-5-voicemail-notifications-dont-show-up-until-a-device-reboot/ The issue I'm having is different in that my phone doesn't ring at all and the caller is sent to voicemail immediately even though my phone has adequate network signal. I receive a notification if they leave a voicemail but if they don't, I would have had no idea that they called. See this thread on Google's own forums: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/eOToYgJXdrw%5B1-25-false%5D Like some others in that thread, disabling LTE in the network settings seems to have fixed the issue for now. But not being able to use a pretty significant feature of the phone isn't exactly a "fix".
Userlevel 1
I occasionally have this problem. I chalk it up to network farts. It doesn't get in my way much
Userlevel 7
Try resetting network settings first.
I joined Koodo in October of 09 & I had a Samsung Evergreen at the time. It started doing that to me within the first month, my calls would go directly to the answering service & it would take hours for my phone to notify me that I had a voice mail. If I checked my missed call list no call would show up. When I called 611 they give you the standard fix for every issue (including loosing your phone I bet), pull the battery & sim. When that didn't work I was told at the time it was an issue with my phone but to take it to a Koodo shop & get the sim swapped for new one. That never helped. In March of 2013 I bought a Galaxy S 2 X & it happened with this phone too, maybe 5 or 6 times until I replaced it in September of 2013. (not reason for replacing phone) Now I have a BB z10 & guess what? Yes you guessed it, the same issue. I called 611 & got the same ol same ol, pull battery & sim...bla bla bla. Never helped? Then go get your sim swapped at a Koodo shop. There they informed me that oh yes this is an issue with the bb 10 phones. That no other phone experiences this problem. You just end up shaking your head & asking yourself does anyone working for Koodo know what the hell they are doing. I think I can offer you a solution to your problem, one I think I'll use myself. Look into Virgin they offer pretty much the same plans.
Cire wrote:

I joined Koodo in October of 09 & I had a Samsung Evergreen at the time. It started doing that to...

Ah, that's unfortunate... The Nexus 4 that I had previously didn't suffer from the same problem so I thought it was a Nexus 5 issue. I'm reluctant to switch carriers because the plan I'm on now is no longer available and the closest equivalent at one of the big 3 carriers is ~$5-10/mo more than what I'm currently paying.
I just wanted to add an update to this topic, I have swapped my Sim card twice now trying to resolve this issue and I am still encountering the same problem. About 3 or 4 times a week someone will call and it will go straight to my answering service and I will not even get a voicemail notice on my phone for hours later and sometimes it will be the next day before I get a notice on my phone saying I have a voicemail. It is time for Koodo to look into this.
Userlevel 4
Cire wrote:

I just wanted to add an update to this topic, I have swapped my Sim card twice now trying to reso...

At this point, call them one last time and have the tech agent submit a trouble ticket to the network team. There is nothing left for you to do except that. Those can take anywhere from 1 to 3 business days to be resolved. Based on your highly details post (which is awesome) it is definately not an issue with the phone or SIM card.
Cire wrote:

I just wanted to add an update to this topic, I have swapped my Sim card twice now trying to reso...

Daniel Kim was definitely in the right neighbourhood. Here's something you should try & see if it resolves your problem. On your phone go to your mobile network options & see if you have LTE selected (I'm guessing you do). Select HSPA & try that for a week & see if your calls come through. I changed my settings to HSPA/UMTS & it's been 3 days now & everything is working great (crossing my fingers). I'll post again if it acts up again. Post your results so others with the same issue will know how to solve their incoming call problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cire wrote:

Thank you for your information and update 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey guys there was indeed an issue with voicemail showing up and clearing notifications and Google has put out a fix with Android version 4.4.2, check for the update that's being pushed OTG right now. I just received it on my Nexus 5 & Nexus 7 2013 so if you haven't received it yet you should very soon and it should fix your issue. http://teamandroidcanada.com/2013/12/10/nexus-devices-receiving-update-to-4-4-2/
I have had same issue with Nexus 5 on Koodo. I am also on stock and have factory reset few times so it's definitely on Koodo's part. I believe it happens when the network is connected as LTE and refuses to change to 3G while receiving the call as LTE cannot do voice (as far as I know). I have put my phone in 3G mode for now and hopefully that solves the problem. I think it's a problem with Koodo's (i.e. Telus') LTE network that it won't push to the phone that a voice call is coming and needs to switch to 3G. Nexus 4 won't have that issue as it didn't have LTE enabled. So maybe it's Nexus 5 that can't easily switch between networks or it's Koodo. But hopefully forcing the phone to 3G will solve the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mihir wrote:

I have had same issue with Nexus 5 on Koodo. I am also on stock and have factory reset few times ...

Have you updated the phone to Android 4.4.2 it's suppose to solve the only known issue with voicemail Notifications on the N5
Mihir wrote:

I have had same issue with Nexus 5 on Koodo. I am also on stock and have factory reset few times ...

This isn't a problem receiving voicemail notification on the N5. It's an issue of incoming calls going straight to VM - two completely separate issues. Also, when your incoming calls goes straight to VM, all texts aren't delivered either. It's like Koodo thinks the phone is off the network but in reality it's connected with LTE. Anyway, for now I have just switched to 3G. Telus' LTE isn't strong everywhere yet anyway so this "solution" works for now. And to answer your question: yes i am on 4.4.2
Userlevel 7
I've had this issue on Rogers before too. My sister says she sometimes calls me and it went straight to voicemail even though my phone was on and functioning normally. It doesn't happen often enough for me to make a stink about it but if you're getting this too often then I would definitely call tech support and let them know about it.
I have been notified by Koodo that the issue has been resolved, I switched my phone back over to LTE & it has been working perfectly now for a week. So anyone who switched over to HSPA can now go back to LTE.
Cire wrote:

I have been notified by Koodo that the issue has been resolved, I switched my phone back over to ...

Thanks for letting us know. Did you change any settings on your wireless router? Apparently there is some talk that changing the frequency to 5 GHz fixes this issue. Just trying to figure out if you also modified your router that solved th issue or Koodo did something on their end. Thanks for posting this here though. I will test it out!
Cire wrote:

I have been notified by Koodo that the issue has been resolved, I switched my phone back over to ...

Mihir, no I never made any changes to my wifi. I called in a ticket to Koodo & I received a text saying they resolved the issue.
Cire wrote:

Just purchased a new LG from Koodo and I cant get any of my call to go out and all incoming calls go diretly to voice mail sometimes I get a voicemail notice and sometimes I dont. HELP!!