Koodo Community

Community

Solved

If i travel to boston with my phone, but leave the sim card at home will i still get roaming fees?

I am looking to nring my phone to boston so i can use it to take pictures and stay connected with friends via wifi/internet, i dont want to be charged any roaming fees or any extra fees in general. Someone told me if i took my sim card out and left it at home i would avoide any extra charges on my account. Is this true?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you take your sim card out and keep it at home, then you effectively left your Koodo service at home.  That means 0 risk of roaming charges during your Boston trip
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

If you take your sim card out and keep it at home, then you effectively left your Koodo service a...

You can accomplish the same thing by putting the phone in airplane mode and turning on wifi and bluetooth. That way you can make an emergency call or accept a call from important contacts, especially if you give those contacts a distinctive ring.
Userlevel 3
Dennis wrote:

If you take your sim card out and keep it at home, then you effectively left your Koodo service a...

Bob, if your phone is in airplane mode the device won't allow any calls in bound. Bad information.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Sorry, a sentence in the middle got deleted.

[i] If you leave your cell phone on and can avoid answering reflexively:

The delete and edit functions on this board are not 100% reliable.[i]
Userlevel 2
Of course if you don't want to trust sim in the phone then make sure to save contacts from sim to device so you have all the important numbers with you.