Koodo Community

Community

Solved

If I buy the Samsung galaxy s8 from telus will it work with a koodo sim?

I want the liliac/orchid grey S8 but koodo doesn't have that option - so after doing a cost benefit I decided to just purchase the phone outright and sign with koodo. So, i was wondering if I buy the phone from Telus will i be able to use a koodo sim without having any issues? Or will it need to be unlocked to be used with koodo?

15 replies

Userlevel 1
If its unlocked yes, otherwise no
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Telus and Koodo uses the same network, so you should be able to use it without unlocking.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Telus and Koodo uses the same network, so you should be able to use it without unlocking.

That's right any Telus or Koodo phone will work on the other without the need to unlock.
Userlevel 1
Robert wrote:

oooh good to know
Robert wrote:

I heard they may be issues using data? Something about adjusting the phones settings manually? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

You might need to change your APN settings. You can google the Koodo values for APNs and change to Koodo's.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Keep in mind that whenever you switch to a different SIM Card that new Samsung devices will factory reset the device so if you activate with a Telus SIM Card and then pop in a koodo one right after it will factory reset the device. So don't bother setting up the device with Telus wait until you pop in your Koodo SIM card.
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

That is true! Samsung devices are all the same hardware across all Canadian carriers, so the ROMs are multi CSC. Any change in CSC (swapping carrier SIM cards for example), and it will factory reset.
Robert wrote:

What was the verdict of this? Thinking about going to a s8 that’s through Telus, the other person will take my Koodo iPhone 7plus and put a Telus sim in it, will they both work after?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Yes they will. No unlock is needed although unlocks will be free as of Dec 1 anyways and I are free early even
Robert wrote:

3 words: Koodo is TELUS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

***Koodo is TELUS but cheaper.

That's the correct way
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

How about reverting it so we can elevate ourselves: TELUS is KOODO
Robert wrote:

15 GB for $75 with the Saskatchewan plan loophole at TELUS. I am pretty sure Koodo's website hasn't even seen 15 GB in its life.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

That appears to be an exception. On the whole Koodo is cheaper than Telus by what plans offer.