Koodo Community

Community

Solved

If I buy a htc one m8 from koodo, is it an unlocked phone, or locked to koodo

Seeing Koodo allows you to bring your own device. I tend to think that the phones aren't locked to the Koodo network. Is this true?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
It's locked to koodo if you buy it from koodo. The only exception is the Nexus line which all come unlocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
All carriers allow you to bring compatible unlocked devices to their service not just Koodo so not sure why you'd think .that.
I under stand that but if I purchase a Htc One M8 phone from Koodo will it be unlocked so I can use it with another sim when I travel to the USA
Userlevel 7
James Van Tuyl wrote:

I under stand that but if I purchase a Htc One M8 phone from Koodo will it be unlocked so I can u...

No it won't be unlocked if you buy it from koodo. But if you want you can unlock it afterwards using a 3rd party service such as cellunlocker.net or gsmliberty.
Userlevel 6
James Van Tuyl wrote:

I under stand that but if I purchase a Htc One M8 phone from Koodo will it be unlocked so I can u...

Hi James, you can buy the phone outright and get it unlocked right away by calling customer service. There is an unlocking fee of $35 and you will need to open a postpaid account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James Van Tuyl wrote:

Or if you buy the phone outright from Koodo (when on a plan with them) or if your account is in good standing for 3 months if you get the phone on a tab then Koodo will unlock it for u for $35
Userlevel 6
James Van Tuyl wrote:

Thanks Dennis for reiterating my post.
James Van Tuyl wrote:

Thanks! That helps, Koodos to you guys
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James Van Tuyl wrote:

Looks like we posted near the same time Erwin. Didn't mean to echo your answer. I'm also posting via iPhone so refreshing the browser and checking before posting was too inconvenient.
I didn't think that Koodo sold the HTC M8
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Danny Medeiros wrote:

I didn't think that Koodo sold the HTC M8

They don't anymore. Its been discontinued, but they will sell the M9