Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I want to switch to Koodo

I have a Samsung GT-i5510M and I am on Bell. I want to keep the phone and my phone number and switch to Koodo. How do I do this? Do I need to unlock the phone from Bell? Thank you.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
HI Kenneth, Yes, you can call Bell to unlock your phone but they charge $50, you can probably find it (MUCH) cheaper on eBay, or Cellunlocker.net, or unlockbox.ca. Then all you need to do is sign up with Koodo and ask the rep to port your current number over, that's all 🙂 Your account with Bell will automatically be cancelled, and you'll probably get one final bill from them with the charges to date.
Can my phone be unlocked by Koodo or for free or can I do it myself?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kenneth Mendell wrote:

Koodo charges $35, if you bring your phone to them and sign up for a new plan. It is very easy to do it yourself though, if you follow the instructions carefully 🙂
Kenneth Mendell wrote:

Thank you. Where are the instructions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kenneth Mendell wrote:

There are no instructions available on Koodo, Kenneth. Unlocking a phone from a 3rd party does require some diligence on your part 🙂 Pick a service you think is affordable (and above all, reliable!), and then follow their instructions. You can always come back here if you're stuck somewhere, most of us unlocked phones and will be able to nudge you in the right direction. You can also choose to pay the $50 or $35 fee and have a knowledgeable Bell or Koodo employee do it for you in one of their kiosks 🙂