Koodo Community

Community

I'm on a Boat!! ;-)

Userlevel 1
Hello All. I'm going on a cruise next week. I will be in the Caribbean Sea. I was wandering, will I be able to text my wife on the ship? This is my first cruise and I would like to know how useful my phone may or may not be in international waters. Any info from someone who has "been there, done that" would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You could, when you enable roaming with your plan. However,it is extremely expensive as roaming on those ship is using satellite. I am not sure how much for Koodo but for telus, it is like $7/min, 0.6$/text $15/1MB.

So I would suggest you turn off all roaming option and use skype (or something else) on the cruise internet
Userlevel 1
Dinh wrote:

You could, when you enable roaming with your plan. However,it is extremely expensive as roaming o...

Thanks. I'm leaning towards Skype. I just need to get the others "on board." LOL (Get it?)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

You could, when you enable roaming with your plan. However,it is extremely expensive as roaming o...

Yes, I think I got you. Skype can make some call (with some cheap credit) and It is more fun to call than texting them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

Just remember, that unless you purchase, or have included an Internet package, the internet onto cruise ship only connects th their servers. You can check your bill, make reservations, etc., but not connect to terrestrial servers without having their internet plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you are within range of terrestrial cell sites, you can use you phone as you would travelling anywhere. If out of range, including signal being blocked by ship structure, you will not. If the 'Cellular at Sea' service is turned on, you would be subject to shipboard rates for any activity you use on-board.  IF you were thinking to use it to communicate between one another while shipboard, you would likely find it quite expensive. It might be more reasonable while in port.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Is there reasonable wifi on the ship?
If so, I would turn on airplane mode and just connect to wifi and use messenger, google hangouts, whatsapp or some other messaging platform that uses wifi instead
Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

If so, I would turn on airplane mode and just connect to wi...

Thanks Dennis. Is one app better than the others? I was considering Skype. Texting is all we need. No video calls will be made. Texts will be sent between Android and iPhone users. I am interested in your opinion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

If so, I would turn on airplane mode and just connect to wi...

If you have gmail accounts, then Google hangouts would be quick and easy.

If you use Facebook, Messenger is pretty seemless.

If you use none of the above then I recommend Whatsapp as it is tied to your phone number (so it must be set up prior to leaving on your trip)
It depends what you want to do. If you want to use phone and text you will pay ship access fees. Pay per use. Or buy a plan when you board. I just got off Carnival on Sunday. They had several plans. We took a plan that allowed access to social media text only, twitter, whatsapp, facebook, instagram, etc. 35 US$. This is good for one device at a time. You can use ther cruise lines app to communicate with others on ship, for a fee. Carnivals was reasonable 5$ for 7d. Royal Caribbean, last year was considerably more.