Koodo Community

Community

I'm not receiving all text messages sent to me - any solutions?

Userlevel 1
Hi everyone,

I've got a Samsung Galaxy s7 and for the last 3 weeks or so, I have not been receing all the text messages sent my way. I receive about 80-90% of them, but there are a few that people send that just never make it to my phone. Looking through similar problems listed on this board, I have done the following:

1. Reset Network settings
2. Power cycle the phone
3. Clear the cache.

None of the above has helped. Also, I have never owned an iPhone.

My default sms app is Google's Messages. 

Does anyone have any idea what's going on, and whether this issue is device-side or network side? If it is network-side, is there anything I can ask koodo to do to make it better? This to me is kind of a make-or-break to stay with Koodo. I work in an industry that relies on fluid communication at any moment, and not reliably being able to communicate is a recipe for disaster. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Intermittent problems are always difficult to solve... do you see any pattern in what message you receive and which don't make it to you? Like from certain numbers, contains certain characters, certain times, or something?
Userlevel 1
It's happened for sure with three different contacts - one of which was added recently, the other two have been in my list forever. It happens at any time. There is no one on my block list save for one spam number. I've checked the "messages centre" in the default Samsung messaging app and it is set correctly. All the messages that were supposed to be sent to me are just plain text - no images, or emojis, or anything special. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do a web search of “reliability of SMS”, and you’ll find lots of information about the frequency of lost SMS. Some instances claiming about 5% go missing.
Userlevel 1
David,

I understand the concept as yes there have been one message in a few thousand of mine that has not been sent/received properly in the past. The problem I'm speaking about is new however. This is something that did not start occurring until about 3 weeks ago. This is not a situation in which one text out of a string of ten sent from someone my way does not get received, but rather the [b]entire string of text messages. 

To give you an example, I recently did a test where I sent from a different phone to my own 15 different test messages. Of them, 5 got through. The problem oscillates in severity with no clear condition for when it works and when it does not.

Userlevel 1
Just an update: Called Koodo Tech Support. They said it's a known current issue that they discovered today with Samsung devices and that it should take 24h-48h to repair. I'll post any resolution the Tech Support folks send my way when they do for anyone else with this issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks for the follow-up!
Having same issue with a galaxy note 8 for the past 4 days at least. I'll change companies if it's not solved by his weekend! Missed some important texts. Never had this issue with virgin!
Userlevel 1
Glad to know it's gonna be fixed.. I also have a Galaxy S7 with the same problem..
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did your problem got fixed? It's been 48h now
Userlevel 1
Not yet. They're supposed to call me to let me know when it's fixed. I touched based on Tuesday and they said it was going to be "48-72 business hours from when I initially called" (which is silly... why don't they say 2-3 business days?) so technically they were supposed to call me on Wednesday. It's Thursday now and I haven't received anything. I'll try them again on Friday - hopefully they'll have some news.

Thanks,
Userlevel 1
So they gave me a ring this afternoon.

They didn't know what the problem was, and have pushed the problem to Google/Android & Samsung. They told me that at least 56 other people reported the problem exclusive to S7, S8, and Note devices, and that there was no timeline to fixing the problem...

BUT I HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS.
I literally just figured out how to fix this issue (I think).
I came across a bunch of articles dated around Oct 10, 2017 reporting a bunch of users not gettting about 20% of their SMS's. One article led me to a Reddit post which led me to a solution that wasn't given much attention but worked for me (and based on my experience with my phone, I suspect will work for everyone else as well!)

Go to Settings >
Device Maintenance>
Press Battery (the bottom left button)
Scroll All the way down

You'll see two categories:
"Unmonitored Apps" and "Always sleeping apps"

Select "Always sleeping apps". Here I saw my Android Messages app - my default SMS app. If you see your default SMS app here, then good news, this is most likely the cause of your issue.

Press and Hold the sms app, which pulls up a delete button in the top right corner. Make sure that the app is properly selected and hit Delete.

To make sure it doesn't happen again, you can go to "Unmonitored apps" and add your default sms app. 

I suspect that a sort of disconnect happened between the network delivering the SMS to your phone, and your phone's SMS app waking up and recognizing the data.

Hope this works for everyone else. 

Cheers,
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Josh Ary wrote:

They didn't know what the problem was, and have pushed th...

Thanks for the follow-up! This might be useful for other people who have the same problem! Hope yours is solved.
Josh Ary wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I have a Samsung and switched to Koodo 4 weeks ago. It's been very frustrating! Never had any issues with Telus. Hours and days delayed with text messages. No pattern. I'll try your advice above. Thanks for posting it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Josh Ary wrote:

Let us know if it doesn't work