Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I keep getting a cannot connect to the server when checking email - how do i fix this?

11 replies

Userlevel 6
It is because your phone is not connected to Wifi or Data. Check your settings.
Wow I feel like a moron, thanks for your help
Sara Watson wrote:

Wow I feel like a moron, thanks for your help

we all have our moments 🙂
I have the same problem but data is enabled under wireless networks, mobile networks what up with that?
Userlevel 5
Joe Chudleigh wrote:

I have the same problem but data is enabled under wireless networks, mobile networks what up with...

Its likely a problem with your email settings. What type of phone do you have and what type of email address?
Thanks for the response after more research I found out it was the APN settings. I had to create a new APN and then set that as the default. If anyone has the same problem I can tell them how to fix it.
Joe Chudleigh wrote:

Thanks for the response after more research I found out it was the APN settings. I had to create ...

can you please shown me how? thanks
If it is strictly Google accounts you can't get into, check to see if you have the 2-step verification enabled (do this on your pc or laptop - Google Account Settings). If it is, you have to disable this, synch your accounts on your phone and then re-activate the 2-step verification (or not - your choice) or you may never connect. Just went through a week of this with a new Nexus 4 and nobody could come up with the correct answer - I myself just figured it out this morning.
robert lenson wrote:

If it is strictly Google accounts you can't get into, check to see if you have the 2-step verific...

Hmmm... First comment I make and somebody decides to supply incorrect information while saying I'm wrong. Nice try but... Google is having many issues with their 2-Step Authorization and probably will until they bring in a new version - or at least until they correct the coding they are using now. Application-Specific-Passwords for the 2-Step Authorization is not required once you are using Android 4.x.x as here you have the 6 digit Authorization Code that is sent to your phone by text message instead. As the person who submitted this question did not say what phone they were using, I specified in my post that this was the answer for Nexus 4 and similar. And funny thing... If you know how to do a search on Google, you will find that this is an issue for both types of authenticating your Google accounts. I actually got the idea on how to correct the first from reading through Google's collection of issues for the Nexus 4 as well as for Android 4.x.x. And funny thing. I went back and checked my old phone (Android 2.3) and it was toast under the 2-Step Authorization system as well. Using what I found for the Nexus 4 and a little trial and error, I was able to get that one working as well but only by doing a certain step-by-step procedure. So the answer for correcting issues with Application-Specific-Password? In Google Settings on your computer, ensure that the device you are having issues with is removed from the Application-Specific-Password list. Then remove the 2-Step Authorization from your Google Settings on your computer, reboot your older phone/tablet,etc and then sign into Google (Gmail or any of the others) and make sure it is synced. After your mobile is synced, reactivate the 2 Step Authorization on your PC and then you can generate and reinstall the Application-Specific-Password. If you continue to have issues (many people do), you will need to continue without the 2-Step Authorization. And unfortunately, this will by system-wide for your private network so if you have a couple tablets, computers, etc, you are back to where you started before the 2-Step. Which is allowable by Google. I only had the 2 phones to work with on these issues so if someone can come up with an easier method of getting this to work, I"ll gladly tip my hat to them. I am only a NOOB on here because that is where the system put me and I didn't feel a need to argue with it.
Userlevel 1
robert lenson wrote:

If it is strictly Google accounts you can't get into, check to see if you have the 2-step verific...

I have fallen on same issue with my Gmail account once when I forgot my password, I went to settings, Account recovery options, and I had to provide my mobile number to let Google send me verification code to reset my password.
robert lenson wrote:

I find Google accounts can be confusing for many people. Even though you have one password to get into every Google site, access and authorization varies between what hardware you are using, what software you are on, and so much more. I'd like to see them get everything into one package.