Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I have to switch back to my old pre-paid phone for a short time. Will I be able to re-use the old SIM card or will I have to buy a new one?

I have to switch back to my old pre-paid phone for a short time. Will I be able to re-use the old SIM card or will I have to buy a new one?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Karen,

It depend how much time you haven't used that SIM card. If it's been more then 90 days, then it is expired!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your current sim card is the same size as your old one then you can simply just put your current one in your old phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What are yo using right now?  Are you on Koodo post paid?
I am koodoo prepaid ... had been using a Samsung 111 ... got a new 6S but it isn't working properly, so need to switch back to the 3 until the 6S gets fixed.  The SIM cards are not interchangeable.  It's been less than 90 days since the SIM card was used, so does that mean I should be able to switch back to it without issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Karen wrote:

I am koodoo prepaid ... had been using a Samsung 111 ... got a new 6S but it isn't working proper...

You should, yes. Just try inputting the sim number on the Koodo site under change phone. This should activate the old one and allow you to use it.
Userlevel 6
Karen wrote:

I am koodoo prepaid ... had been using a Samsung 111 ... got a new 6S but it isn't working proper...

In my experience, prepaid SIMs do not work this way. Once you activate a new prepaid SIM, the old one becomes invalid immediately. Last time I changed to a phone with a SIM card of a different size than the previous one, this is what happened.
Userlevel 7
Karen wrote:

Prepaid Sims are one time use..if you switch your service to another size sim, you'll have to buy a new size SIM for when you switch back. Best thing to do is buy a nano sim and a pack of high quality sim adapters. I've had bad luck with plastic adapters so I recommend then metal ones. You can usually find a pack of them on eBay or those boutique cell stores. Be careful though, any damage they might cause isn't covered by any warranty.