Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I have a warranty with my phone, my charger has broken would my charger be covered?

Userlevel 1
My charger is broken and I am wondering if the charger is covered with the warranty.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Here is Koodo's warranty policy http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase/what-is-your-warranty-and...

If you have the extended warranty http://extendedwarranty.koodomobile.com/en-ca/

Both seem to focus on the phone and not on the accessory that's included with the phone.

I say bring it to a Koodo kiosk and give it a try.

I assume other chargers work on your phone and the defective charger does not work on any other phone?  Also there is no visible damage.

You may want to read the warranty card that came with your phone and see what the manufactures says about the warranty
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's usually much less of a hassle to just get another charger from the dollar store. If your phone has a large screen, you may need a 2 amp rather than a 1 amp which is standard on smaller phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

It's usually much less of a hassle to just get another charger from the dollar store. If your pho...

Keep in mind that if you use a 3rd party charger such as those from the dollar store and your phone catches fire or something it will not be covered under warranty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

It's usually much less of a hassle to just get another charger from the dollar store. If your pho...

How exactly would anyone know what charger was used?
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I haven't used a different charger yet. I'm still trying to keep my phone charged with the same charger, so it is why I'm asking would my charger be covered to get a new one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

If you would have had an iPhone, which I'm not sure you do because it's been categorized in Android, it would be covered. For other manufacturers, you would need to give them a call to make sure!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Ivan I'm not sure how they tell but I know Samsung has stated a couple times in the past that when the phone was sent to them they could see that a 3rd party charger was used and that's why the device caught fire, they then went on to say that they highly suggest one used only Samsung made chargers. I'm sure they can easily tell through the software of the device by looking at charge rates it was seeing before the accident and can tell it was not the proper charger.
Badge +4
Samsung Canada - Accessories included with mobile phone - warranty period 12 months.
HTC Canada - Accessories included with mobile phone - warranty period 12 months.
Motorola Canada (Global) - Accessories included with mobile phone - warranty period 12 months.
LG Canada - Nexus 5 example - Labour: 1 Year, Parts: 1 Year - no mention of warranty on accessories.
Alcatel/TCL Canada - Accessories included with mobile phone - warranty period 12 months.

I think I've covered most of the Android devices that are in Koodo's phone lineup. I'm not certain how Koodo goes about doing a warranty replacement for a charger. They may hand you one at a Koodo shop in exchange for your defective charger, or it may have to be sent to the manufacturer and they'll ship you a new one. Your best option would be to visit a Koodo kiosk and find out how this works.

Keep a micro USB cable handy so you can continue to charge your phone via your computer/laptop in the event you have to wait for a new charger to be shipped to you.