Koodo Community

Community

Solved

i have a samsung, Ace2. was thinking of updating my phone for the new samsung 4. is this a smart move or is there better phones out there?

i was thinking of upgrading my phone. was wondering if the new Android phone is a great phone or should i choose a different phone?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Currently, the Samsung S4 is definitely the best phone Koodo has (of the Android models, I hasten to say) 🙂 I have the phone too and I love it, but I can't really compare with the Ace2 because I never had that. It would be a huge step up, I'm sure of that!
Userlevel 2
The Ace 2 is an entry-level Android phone. For basic uses, it will be fine. If you want to have a full experience, you're better off going with a S4 or the Nexus 4 (while it is still available). The S4 comes with a lot of bells & whistles that is bundled by Samsung. It will include apps that you won't necessarily be able to remove even if you don't use them. The Nexus4 contains a vanilla-version of Android and is supported directly by Google, so you will be assured that the Nexus will always have the latest version of Android available. This won't be the case with the S4. As the holiday season is approaching, many manufacturers will be rolling out new models for the.gift-giving period. You may want to wait a few weeks and see what becomes available, especially since the Nexus 5 will be announced shortly. If you are dead set on upgrading soon, the S4 is a good choice. It's a powerful premium phone.
Badge +4
You're already familiar with the layout of Android so stepping up to an S4 or Nexus 4 might be the way to go. While the LG Nexus 4 is pure Android, it lacks a memory card slot and removable battery. The Nexus 4's storage is limited to 16 GB's and further reduced by the size of the OS by about 1.6 to 1.8 GB's. A memory card slot and removable battery would have been a definite asset in my opinion. If you're in the market for a premium device, you may want to take a closer look at the Blackberry Z10 or wait a month or two and hopefully Koodo will bring in the Blackberry Z30. The BB Z10 is a solid smartphone and has both a removable battery and memory card slot. The Z10 is all about keeping in touch with what matters, everything with regard to communication is intuitively centred around the Hub. It takes very little getting used to coming from Android, therefore the learning curve is minimal. There are a ton of features on the Z10, the web is full of articles relating to this. One thing I haven't been able to find on any Samsung device in the Koodo lineup (including the S4 and LG Nexus 4), is a message waiting indicator light on the face of the phone. While this may not be a decisive selling factor for most, the BB Z10 has this feature and allows the user to see at a glance that a message has been received. With the upcoming BB 10.2 software/firmware upgrade (reportedly near the end of October 2013), the Android Player has received a complete overhaul, getting a performance boost and support for Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, thus opening up a plethora of fresh up-to-date apps, in addition to the growing number of apps on Blackberry World. With the ability to side-load Android apps, you get the best of both worlds a Blackberry device capable of running Android apps! I'm certain the Blackberry suggestion will be met with mixed reviews. I welcome them. That said, I'm both an avid Android and Blackberry user so there's no favouritism being played here. I've been using the BB Z10 for about two and a half months while my aging Galaxy S2x takes a well deserved nap. Both platforms (Blackberry and Android) have their inherent pros and cons, although I have to say that overall, I'm quite impressed with the BB Z10. Just passing along a suggestion, at the end of the day however, it is your choice.
Userlevel 7
I second the Z10 or even the Q5 (if you want buttons) suggestion if you want the best communication experience on your device. The Q5 is cheaper, too. However if you like the layout of Android and are used to it, then the S4, S4 mini, or Nexus 4 are all great devices in their respective categories.