Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I have a question. What happens if a phone gets broken under normal wear & tear and is less than a year old? Is it covered under warrany?

16 replies

Userlevel 1
Yep. The phone is still covered under warranty. If you accidentally damage your phone then it isn't, but if it is just broken for reasons you don't know why then yes it's covered.
It's my son's phone. He noticed a crack up the middle of the screen. It's a smartphone. He has no clue how or why it cracked. He can still receive calls. Can he take it to a koodo kiosk & get it replaced?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Beth Naugler wrote:

It's my son's phone. He noticed a crack up the middle of the screen. It's a smartphone. He has no...

99% of the time a cracked screen is the result of some kind of damage. I have not heard of a cracked screen ever be serviced under warranty.
Beth Naugler wrote:

It's my son's phone. He noticed a crack up the middle of the screen. It's a smartphone. He has no...

He said he did nothing to the phone to damage it. Here's the stupid question I have. Why couldn't it be fixed the screen is part of the phone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Beth Naugler wrote:

Here are the details of the Koodo warranty. By all means, give it a try. http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase/what-is-your-warranty-and-repair-policy
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Beth Naugler wrote:

Dennis is completely correct and no screen damage is covered under warranty with any device and with any carrier and it's laid out in every owners manual stating this explicitly. There is the exception now which is the HTC ONE M8 which HTC will replace a damaged display for up to six months from the initial purchase, this can only be done once then the user has to pay. Many people think they've done nothing to damage the phone and alot of times its when the phone is in ones pocket and you lean against a table or something not thinking anything but inaactuality the user has been pressing the display against the edge of say a table with all their body weight and we'll it's glass it breaks right. The user then with an already broken device from leaning against something and never even thought anything of it notices somettime later when they're just sitting around and takes the phoneoout of their pocket and OMG my screens broken and I didn't even do anything to it WTF. In all cases something has to havehhappened for the screen the break as glass just doesn't smash or crack on its own there is always a reason even if one doesn't realize they've done it. There are many other ways one can break a display without knowing it at all this is just one and the most common example. I've done it and it sucks but it's the chancesyyou take when you have something made with glass sitting in your pocket all day and getting used all day every day. The best way to help lessen the chance of accidents is to get a quality case and / or screen protector to help protect against damage, I also have a trick I do which is to always ALWAYS make sure to put your phone in a separate pocket with nothing else in it or at the very least with nothing sharp hard or Jagged ect and most importantly is always put the phone in your pocket withtthe display facing your body so if you do lean against something thentthe back of the phone is being pressed against the object not thegglass display.
Userlevel 5
Beth Naugler wrote:

That's a great explanation Paul just gave, you should be able to star comments. But to put it simply, the reason physical damage (broken screen) isn't covered, is because there is no way to tell if it was because of abuse or if it was a genuine defect. And as has been said, 99% of screen breaks are because of pressure placed on the screen.
Userlevel 1
Call Koodo first and ask. If it is a crack in the screen then I don't think they will fix that, But i'm not 100% sure so just call Koodo and ask for 100% verification on that.
Another question....how much would a new galaxy ace cost for an existing customer?
Userlevel 1
Beth Naugler wrote:

Another question....how much would a new galaxy ace cost for an existing customer?

Beth Naugler wrote:

Is that with taxes in & activation? I know he my son can use his existing sim card.
Userlevel 1
Beth Naugler wrote:

Yes it is, but I suggest buying the Moto G instead of the Ace 2x
Beth Naugler wrote:

Is that the same price? My son has a prepaid phone.
Userlevel 1
Beth Naugler wrote:

Yes it is the same price
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Beth Naugler wrote:

I second getting the Moto G instead of the lower end Samsung Galaxy Ace series. The Moto G is an amazing device for the price and keeps up very well with devices 2 and 3 times the price or more as it features a quad core processor which makes a huge differenceiin the performance of the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Beth Naugler wrote:

3rd for a Moto G here. Not only is it a great phone, the Ace 2 is garbage.