Koodo Community

Community

I have a phone from koodo and it has a sim card is that good enough for prepaid or is there a difference in pre paid sim cards

I have a phone from koodo and it has a koodo sim card is that good enough for prepaid or is there a difference in preparation paid dim cards

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The pre-paid SIM and postpaid SIM are two different creatures and are not interchangeable between services.

So I will have to buy a new sim card to activate the phone threw pre paid?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Christine Crystal Brake wrote:

At your choice of Koodo shop. There is a list in the 'Stores' link at the bottom of the page.
The SIM comes with an activation rebate that matches the purchase price of the SIM.

If you have an active post-paid account, you can port your number over to pre-paid. The $20 charge for the SIM will be credited to any newly set-up prepaid account, so the SIM is essentially free.
Userlevel 6

Keep in mind that this is a Telus/Koodo-specific distinction. While other carriers allow their sim cards to be used on either pre-paid or post-paid, Telus/Koodo packages pre-paid vs. post-paid sim cards differently. The $20 pre-paid sim comes with $20 credit, the post-paid sim (charged at $10 at retailers) allows going on a post-paid plan, does not come with any credits (but new activation promos more than off-set this sometimes).

Since you have a Koodo phone, you wouldn't have to get it unlocked in order to use with a Koodo sim card.