Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I am on the prepaid $15 base plan + booster add-on mins. I will be abroad for 1 yr. I have no Cdn credit card. How to keep this # active?

I am on the prepaid $15 base plan + booster add-on mins. I will be abroad for 1 yr but wish to keep my number, I have no Cdn credit card. How to keep # active?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have a friend keep it active for you.

OR

Port the number to Speak Out since their minutes keep your line active for 365 days
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/why-prepaid-phones
So my friend  can top it up every 90 days with a $15 prepaid voucher and the number will remain active until I return?   How do I "port" the number?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Judy wrote:

So my friend  can top it up every 90 days with a $15 prepaid voucher and the numbe...

Sure a friend can do that.  Just make sure they dont forget.  And you its more than just topping up.  Your friend has to renew the baseplan every 90 days
Judy wrote:

So my friend  can top it up every 90 days with a $15 prepaid voucher and the numbe...

Can I renew the base plan by pre-paid vouchers or do pre-paid voucher only cover add-on minutes and data.  Sorry for all the questions, i'm a newbie to Koodos 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Judy wrote:

You can renew by vouchers as well.

Actually now that I think of it, why dont you top up your account.  Then renew online on self serve yourself when the time is due.

Just make sure you turn off auto-renew
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Judy wrote:

Set yourself some reminders in calendar app to do the renewals manually every 80+ days or so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Judy wrote:

If you really don't care about all that fuss and minute/data balances owing, just port your number out to a VoIP service that will accept your US or other credit card. You will then [i]own the number, and can get calls forwarded to whatever provider you will be using while away, and can re-port to whatever you want when you get back.
Judy wrote:

Quick question. If I live in Canada and have the 50 base plan and traveling to states can I text from there?
Userlevel 2
Judy wrote:

Currently NO
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Judy wrote:

Prepaid is only usable in Canada