Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I am Canadian. How will I use my phone in Mexico? Cannot find codes I'll need! 011 and?

I live in Canada. Have added long distance and Intl Roaming to my plan. Cannot find the code I'll need to use my phone (Android) in Mexico. Not listed on website. How will I use my phone in Mexico???? I want to send texts in Mexico and to Canada.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The country code for Canada is 1. Mexico uses 00 as the international dialing prefix, not 011. Dialing the + sign and the country code will work anywhere, since the network automatically converts the + to the appropriate international dialing prefix.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

The country code for Canada is 1. Mexico uses 00 as the international dialing prefix, not 011. D...

Thank you too!
so, if i'm texting in mexico to someone else in mexico, I dial +00 then their name? And if I dial Canada I go +1 then their name?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To text mexico, dial +52 and then their number. To dial Canada it's +1 and then the number.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

To text mexico, dial +52 and then their number. To dial Canada it's +1 and then the number.

Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To Canada +1 - Area Code - Phone number To Mexico +52 - Area Code - Phone number 1 is Canada's country code 52 is Mexico's country code
Thanks so much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Don't forget to leave out the trunk prefix (Mexican is 01) when entering the number. If the person gives you a number beginning with 01, leave the 01 out as you're calling/texting from a foreign number. Trunk prefixes are only used among the country's networks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Don't forget to leave out the trunk prefix (Mexican is 01) when entering the number. If the perso...

Shoot you are right. That prefix is for calling cellphones. Is it 01 or just 1? Who knew phone numbers were this complex lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Don't forget to leave out the trunk prefix (Mexican is 01) when entering the number. If the perso...

According to all online sources, the prefix is 01, but it all depends on how people list their numbers. If the number is written with a +, then it won't have the trunk prefix listed. I have not been to Mexico, but as I'm from Europe I'm quite familiar with trunk codes (0 in most European countries, but 8 in some). Here's an example from Yugoslavia (where I'm from, this is my pre-war number): 459 482 (Sarajevo). Those calling from within the city would dial it as it is. Those calling from within Bosnia would dial: 071 459 482 (71 was the Sarajevo area code). Those calling from within Europe would dial: 00 387 71 459 482 (note that the 0 is dropped). Those calling from outside Europe would dial: 011 387 71 459 482 As you can see, this is confusing as hell. This is why the + prefix has come into play. When you list your number with a +, you never have to worry about any other prefixes. It's why those who've traveled in Europe will see all numbers written as +country code (though they sometimes put the trunk prefix in brackets to remind people to dial the prefix if calling locally from a local number. Under this system, the above number becomes: +387 71 459 482 OR +387 (0)71 459 482
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

As a Canadian, I feel inadequate to use a phone in Europe now 😛
Ivan wrote:

Thanks for your help! Yes it is confusing! Greetings from Canada.
Just came back from Mexico and got no service the whole week.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lulu Citron wrote:

The most likely cause for this is not having the International Voice Roaming add-on on your account and/or having roaming disabled on your phone.

Also, if you're on prepaid, roaming is not possible.
Lulu Citron wrote:

I have an unlocked iphone6 bought directly from Apple. I went last year while with virgin no problem. When I switched to Koodo my phone options changed in my phone. I turned cellular data off like last year in order not to have a surprise when I receive my monthly bill. I will call cs to see if I have the voice roaming add-on in my account. Thx.
Lulu Citron wrote:

Just called. Didn't have the voice roaming add-on. Thx.