Koodo Community

Huawei P40 Pro | Your Thoughts?

• 9 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello Beautiful People,

I am wondering if anyone purchased the Huawei P40 Pro?

Care to share your thoughts about the device? Does the lack of Google Services hinder the experience to a point to make it a turn off? 

Speak your mind… 

3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve used a P40 pro before, but not with Koodo.  It’s a beautiful device, has a very nice screen, decent audio (for only having a single speaker) and the camera is fantastic.  However …. the lack of google services will remain a thorn in your side unless you use one of the available methods to side-load GMS.  Most of your apps will work without the google framework; a combination of the Huawei app store, Amazon app store, petal search and apkpure should get you most of the apps you’re used to - all the big ones like facebook, insta, snapchat, etc can be installed.  The uber app just won’t work, however, so you’d need to open a browser window and use it that way.  Youtube will only work if you install MicroG and Youtube Vanced (which most people should try out, anyways!)

Long story short - if you’re tech-savvy the P40 Pro can be a very rewarding phone that is easy to love.  However - if you're not looking to work around the constraints imposed by not having GMS you might want to look elsewhere.  Plus, the P40 Pro is WAY overpriced through Canadian carriers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yea at $768 on Tab Plus it’s really hard to say anything in favour of it once you compare it to other phones at or even below that price point.

Long story short - if you’re tech-savvy the P40 Pro can be a very rewarding phone that is easy to love.  However - if you're not looking to work around the constraints imposed by not having GMS you might want to look elsewhere.  Plus, the P40 Pro is WAY overpriced through Canadian carriers.

Overpriced and not straightforward. Sounds like a bad partner :joy:

Thank you for chiming in. I have been on the fence about wanting to get it, but I don’t really care for tech-savvy hoola hoops… 

Thank you for the feedback :)