Koodo Community
Question

Huawei P20 Android 9 update

Just wondering why my phone still didnt recieve the Android 9 update? My girlfriend purchased the same phone about a month after I recieved mine, her phone is now updated to 9.0, however mine is still saying no updates?

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
She's with Koodo too?
Yeah, I ordered mine online during Cyber Monday sale. She bought hers within the last 2 weeks at a mobile shop. It wasn't at 9.0 when she bought it but it is now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SLow updates are a common thing with android, ad particularly with Koodo.

You can try to enter a non koodo sim to see if it can pull the update from another carrier
TCarr215 wrote:

Yeah, I ordered mine online during Cyber Monday sale. She bought hers within the last 2 weeks at a mobile shop. It wasn't at 9.0 when she bought it but it is now.

Your phone should be getting the update soon if she has the same phone from Koodo.. If you need it now, see if the instructions in the link below will get the update for you.

https://www.huaweicentral.com/how-to-update-to-android-9-0-pie-emui-9-0/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It is a gradual rollout from Huawei globally. If your phone IMEI is in the batch, you would get it. If not you would have to wait. They mentioned somewhere the update would be sent out to devices within a month or so.
Wife and I have the P20. Both on Koodo. Her phone had the update mine does not. My phone was purchased shortly after launch from Koodo and hers was purchased black Friday at a kiosk. Checked the link provided above and it was not helpful. Guess I'm just waiting for my IMEI to be selected...
I initially hot the new update to download but when I went to install it mentioned an error.now it nowhere to be found
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
marvin wrote:

I initially hot the new update to download but when I went to install it mentioned an error.now it nowhere to be found

Have you tried to go to Settings >> System >> Software update >> check for update? Normally the update is there.
Dinh wrote:

marvin wrote:

Have you tried to go to Settings >> System >> Software update >> check for update? Normally the update is there.

It's no longer there. The message if I remember correctly is that it's an illegal version of the software and cannot be installed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
marvin wrote:

It's no longer there. The message if I remember correctly is that it's an illegal version of the software and cannot be installed.

Was your P20 from Koodo? did you reinstall the firmware?
Dinh wrote:

marvin wrote:

It's actually a P20 Pro and my friend got the same phone same day and both with Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
marvin wrote:

Dinh wrote:

marvin wrote:

It's actually a P20 Pro and my friend got the same phone same day and both with Koodo.

I would wait for the official update from Koodo/Huawei. At the end of this month, if you don't see anything, then it is time to contact Koodo/Huawei and ask.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

I would wait for the official update from Koodo/Huawei. At the end of this month, if you don't see anything, then it is time to contact Koodo/Huawei and ask.

The update was pushed out by Koodo on Dec 14 so he should have it by now. Not sure of a fix but he should have it.
https://community.koodomobile.com/articles-by-koodo-232899/software-update-schedule-7790542
Allan M wrote:

Dinh wrote:

The update was pushed out by Koodo on Dec 14 so he should have it by now. Not sure of a fix but he should have it.
https://community.koodomobile.com/articles-by-koodo-232899/software-update-schedule-7790542

It's just weird that i got it, then it deleted by it self.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan M wrote:

Dinh wrote:

@Allan M Well, "should have" doesn't mean you would have.... I got a Huawei myself and the update was delayed by 15 days on my device. As I mentioned earlier, it is a gradual rollout. You could also see many delayed reports in the post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
In general, I go by the philosophy that due to the difficult or next to impossible nature of rolling back an OS update, I would highly recommend not updating unless there is an issue you are trying to fix. If everything is working as it should and there is no must have feature you are trying to get, the risks are too high that an OS update might break something that already works well for you (ex. increased battery drain).

Just my 2 cents
The same thing happened to me as to Marvin. Update was available but when trying to install it the update gets deleted after stating that it is an unauthorized updated. I backed up my files first so the Huawei PC software updated first before I could do so. I had wondered if that was part of the reason but it doesn't sound like it now.

Phone purchased a few months ago during the black Friday sale. Thanks Dinh, I'll see what happens by end of January.
Same issue here. Both p20s purchased at the same time, one has the update and the other does not. Hopefully soon?