Koodo Community
Question

Huawei Google support

I purchased a Huawei p20 pro 6 months ago, Google announced it will no longer support security updates and Google apps on the devices. 3rd party apps will still be supported. I have a year and a half left on my tab. Will there be a trade in policy for this issue?

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Good question. Doubt it. It's out of the control of all carriers.

Let's get the info more clear tho:
Existing phones will retain GPS access. The question remains if the security updates can still be certified by Google for current Huawei phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I believe the ban will affect new future devices. Existing device can still use Google services and update (that was from few tech pages)
https://twitter.com/Android/status/1130313848332988421?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/google-huawei-android-access-1.5142448
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It isn't the carriers fault if Huawei did bad business, so I doubt they will be the one taking the hit for that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Here's a summary of what the situation is for current phone owners:
https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/05/23/huawei-smartphone-canada-trump-google/
Problem is with incoming Android Q. It had to be released for 2019 phones by end of this year. Now it's almost 100% that it won't. And I think if Koodo sold Huawei phones and has been managing all OS updates/upgrades coming to us via the carrier then Koodo has to be part of resolution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Problem is with incoming Android Q. It had to be released for 2019 phones by end of this year. Now it's almost 100% that it won't. And I think if Koodo sold Huawei phones and has been managing all OS updates/upgrades coming to us via the carrier then Koodo has to be part of resolution.

Current Huawei phones would still work even if there is no update to Android Q

Problem is with incoming Android Q. It had to be released for 2019 phones by end of this year. Now it's almost 100% that it won't. And I think if Koodo sold Huawei phones and has been managing all OS updates/upgrades coming to us via the carrier then Koodo has to be part of resolution.Current Huawei phones would still work even if there is no update to Android Q

👎🏻
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

👎🏻

I have android phones (S7 Edge) on Android Nougat that still work perfectly well

👎🏻
I have android phones (S7 Edge) on Android Nougat that still work perfectly well

OMG, are one of those who banned us or another the other 🤡 who'll will come up soon and offer us his own OS? Think first!
Userlevel 4
Buy Android = don't expect software update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

👎🏻I have android phones (S7 Edge) on Android Nougat that still work perfectly well
OMG, are one of those who banned us or another the other 🤡 who'll will come up soon and offer us his own OS? Think first!

OMG, If you want Android Q, buy a phone with Android Q. Think first when you buy a phone!
There are no gaurentees by the device manufacturer that a phone will ever be updated

👎🏻I have android phones (S7 Edge) on Android Nougat that still work perfectly well
OMG, If you want Android Q, buy a phone with Android Q. Think first when you buy a phone!
There are no gaurentees by the device manufacturer that a phone will ever be updated

What kind of mobile master are you if you don't know that today's phones are all covered with OS upgrades for 2 years, at least. I see why Koodo have guys like you titled "Mobile Masters are not Koodo Employees. Our opinions are our own.". you probably cost them refurbished S7 that still works by you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
the device manufacturer that a phone will ever be updatedWhat kind of mobile master are you if you don't know that today's phones are all covered with OS upgrades for 2 years, at least. I see why Koodo have guys like you titled "Mobile Masters are not Koodo Employees. Our opinions are our own.". you probably cost them refurbished S7 that still works by you.
"Security updates" not "OS upgrades" https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18019356/android-security-update-mandate-google-contract

"Google’s contract with Android partners stipulates that they must provide “at least four security updates” within one year of the phone’s launch. Security updates are mandated within the second year as well, though without a specified minimum number of releases"

I would suggest you avoid personal attack. Nobody said you had to bring in those comments to make your points.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What kind of mobile master are you if you don't know that today's phones are all covered with OS upgrades for 2 years, at least. I see why Koodo have guys like you titled "Mobile Masters are not Koodo Employees. Our opinions are our own.". you probably cost them refurbished S7 that still works by you.
The kind to tell you that it is definitely NOT all phones that will have OS updates guaranteed for 2 years.

Instead of attacking me, why dont take you focus on the subject at hand.

If you have an issue with OS updates, you would need to contact the manufacturer of the phone. Koodo may delay OS updates as they do their testing, but they are not the source of the updates to begin with.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I still have phones with whatever version of Android that was current 5 years ago (S5, Note 4). They're working just fine... sometimes all the hype around updates is highly overrated.

So to come back to the original question: I doubt very much that there will be a trade in offer since technically there is nothing wrong with the phone.

Edit: oh I'm dreadfully sorry about reviving such an old thread, somehow it popped up on my list as recent!
The joke is that Koodo is still (june 11 2019) selling new Huawei product like nothing was wrong, full price even. A little bit disingenuous if you ask me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The joke is that Koodo is still (june 11 2019) selling new Huawei product like nothing was wrong, full price even. A little bit disingenuous if you ask me.
You dont have to buy them if you dont want to, but the links at the very top say that that all existing handsets will still have access to the google play store and updates. So I dont understand the problem.
Userlevel 4
Money is more important than anything. They need to sell those phones to get their money back. TELUS is even lobbying the government to not ban Chinese spies because then it would cost them more for the 5G network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The joke is that Koodo is still (june 11 2019) selling new Huawei product like nothing was wrong, full price even. A little bit disingenuous if you ask me.Money is more important than anything. They need to sell those phones to get their money back. TELUS is even lobbying the government to not ban Chinese spies because then it would cost them more for the 5G network.

Proof of chinese spies???
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
P30 lite now comes with a $150 bonus gift in store for new activations. They are working on discounting them and you'll probably see gift cards on the P30 and Pro soon too if I had to guess.