Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How to use Factory unlocked phones on Kood

I have a new unlocked Quad band phone . The IMEI# search showed that the phone is compatible with Koodo. Available network was showing Koodo 3G. When I tried to connect it is giving message "can't connect to network right now. Try again later" Some one pl help

16 replies

Userlevel 7
A little more information please What phone is it that you have? I did notice you tagged android. Make sure that "use gsm only" or "use 2g only" are not selected in network settings. Also be sure network selection is set to automatic.
Xolo Q2000 dual SIM phone. Both iMEI# showing as compatible with Koodo
Userlevel 7
Kumaran Krishnamoorthy wrote:

Your phone only has one 3G band available (2100) and it's not one of the two that koodo uses (umts 850/1900) unfortunately this device is not compatible with koodo and I'm not sure why the website says it is.

Now I understand the problem, but I am also wondering how the phone was able to find Koodo 3G when searched for available network.
Userlevel 7

Maybe one of their roaming partners within canada.

This phone is brand new and was never used on any other network. I was using SIM from my old phone in to this new one. Thanks.
Userlevel 7

Sorry I meant one of Koodo roaming partners
Userlevel 6
Most of Europe uses the 2100 freq for 3G Kumaran, and your phone was clearly intended to be used in that market since it's the only 3G freq it supports. Maybe you can sell it to someone over there and get another phone that will work here?
I got this phone from India and wanted to use with Koodo as I was with it for about 3yrs. Now I will either sell or may be use it on Rogers. Thanks.
Userlevel 7

I got this phone from India and wanted to use with Koodo as I was with it for about 3yrs. Now I w...

Even on rogers it may only pickup the 2G frequencies. You'd be looking at EDGE or even worse GSM speeds
Userlevel 5

I got this phone from India and wanted to use with Koodo as I was with it for about 3yrs. Now I w...

Check with Rogers and their frequencies to make sure - if you are planning on doing this, just to be on the safe side
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You'll get no 3G service with the 2100 band on any provider in Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can refer to my blog post about bringing your own unlocked device to Koodo: http://mobilemasters.koodomobile.com/the-comprehensive-guide-for-bringing-your-unlocked-device-to-koodo/
You blog was the first one I was referring when I faced with this problem. My phone has 4 common GSM bands and has UMTS 2100. Some others are saying my phone is not compatible with Koodo. My main doubt is that the phone is detecting Koodo 3G when searching for available networks but says "can't connect to network right now. Try again later" Thanks for your reply.
Userlevel 6

You blog was the first one I was referring when I faced with this problem. My phone has 4 common ...

It's not about having "doubts" Kumaran. Koodo's network doesn't support 2G GSM frequencies, only WCDMA/UMTS (3G) ones (850/1900). Your phone only supports 2100 MHz (which is used throughout Europe). Therefore, it will not work on Koodo.
Userlevel 1

You blog was the first one I was referring when I faced with this problem. My phone has 4 common ...

Hey Kumaran, thanks for visiting us in the Koodo Community. I've sent you an email. When you get a chance, can you please reply? Thank you so much!