Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How to text

This is going to sound stupid but how do I dial a number to text someone? Also how do I know if the number is long distance? I have a galaxy s6 with android 6.0

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Either use your contacts app & choose the message option from those offered, or go to the messaging app on your phone and enter their 10 digit number in the To: section.  There are no one distance issues with SMS Texts, so no worries on that part.

Do I need to add 1 before the area code? Eg. 1 519 123 4567
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Auron FFX wrote:

Yes
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Auron FFX wrote:

Shouldn't for North American numbers.

Userlevel 6
One does not dial a number to text. You have a few options:
    In the texting app, create a new text. Input phone number of the person you wish to text. Then input the message. Phone number syntax would be XXX-XXX-XXXX for Canada/US (the 1 or +1 prior to that is optional). For other countries, best to use the '+' followed by the country code (instead of the '011'). Cellphones are better at interpreting the '+'. In your contacts, you can save the contact's cellphone number. From there, you should see an option to send a text to that number. That way, your default texting app will automatically use that phone number to receive the text, and you'd only have to type up the message, then send.
  • If you've recently spoken to the contact, you might have the option to text their number from your dialer's call history.