Koodo Community

How to stop getting texts from Koodo?

The other day I went to the airport and got a text from Koodo:

"Travelling outside of Canada? Keep your phone on since you're already set for Easy Roam! etc etc etc"

A long message that doesn't give me the option to opt out.

Not only do I find it creepy, but it's also annoying.

I also keep getting text messages when my bill is ready, I don't need them because I already get emails with that info.

I want to opt out of these messages, if I knew I'd be getting a text every time I go to the airport (whether I'm flying or picking someone up), I would've gone with a less intrusive carrier.

If there's no way to opt out of these annoying texts, I'll probably cancel my account. The competition is offering some pretty good deals and, yes, I can be that petty.

Any ideas on what I can do that doesn't involve "jUsT bLoCk tHaT nUmBeR" (which is useless because every time I get texts from koodo it's from a different number)?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The ebill notifications can be turned off through self serve.
http://koodo.com/ebillalert

You can opt out of the roaming notifications by contacting customer service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The ebill notifications can be turned off through self serve.http://koodo.com/ebillalert
You can opt out of the roaming notifications by contacting customer service.

Would that remove the roaming alert?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The ebill notifications can be turned off through self serve.http://koodo.com/ebillalertYou can opt out of the roaming notifications by contacting customer service.Would that remove the roaming alert?

I dont believe so but possibly?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Roaming alert: I suspect you would be more displeased if you did not receive any warning then picked up your phone by mistake and got whopped for roaming.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Roaming alert: I suspect you would be more displeased if you did not receive any warning then picked up your phone by mistake and got whopped for roaming.
And it's there by crtc regulation so itll be there by default across all carriers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I believe the roaming alert is while still in Canada when you are at the Airport. I have received these while at the Toronto Airport

If the OP feels that this is important enough to leave Koodo for, then by all mean they are free to do that, but contacting Koodo would be your best bet as Allan said. Note that it may also disable any other promotional or warning texts at the same time. Im not sure how individualized these notifications are created in their systems

That's not gonna happen, I've been travelling most of my life and never "picked up my phone by mistake". I have lived in many countries and NEVER had a carrier annoy me with warnings.

I believe the roaming alert is while still in Canada when you are at the Airport. I have received these while at the Toronto Airport

If the OP feels that this is important enough to leave Koodo for, then by all mean they are free to do that, but contacting Koodo would be your best bet as Allan said. Note that it may also disable any other promotional or warning texts at the same time. Im not sure how individualized these notifications are created in their systems

I don't mind losing promotional texts. The only one I kinda care about is the one saying that I've reached 50% of my data, but I can set up my phone to do that with relatively good accuracy (plus the chances of me going over my data limits are quite slim, tbh).

And yeah, I feel it'd be important enough to leave Koodo. I don't want my cellphone carrier to annoy me, period. I've had multiple cellphone carriers in the past and Koodo has been so far the most intrusive one.

I'll schedule a callback (since customer support sucks) and update this thread accordingly.

Roaming alert: I suspect you would be more displeased if you did not receive any warning then picked up your phone by mistake and got whopped for roaming.And it's there by crtc regulation so itll be there by default across all carriers.

Doubt it, I was with eastlink until some months ago and NEVER got a roaming notification when I was at the airport. So unless it's a very recent legislation, I call BS on that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Doubt it, I was with eastlink until some months ago and NEVER got a roaming notification when I was at the airport. So unless it's a very recent legislation, I call BS on that.
  1. "When a device is roaming in another country, a A service provider must notify the account holder, and the device user, at no charge. The notification must clearly explain the associated rates for voice, text messaging, and data services."
Section E of the wireless code. https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm
Userlevel 1

You can call BS but I call your bluff. Read E. Bill Management -> 1. International Roaming Notification

i. When a device is roaming in another country, a A service provider must notify the account holder, and the device user, at no charge. The notification must clearly explain the associated rates for voice, text messaging, and data services.
ii. The account holder or device user may opt out of receiving these notifications at any time.

TL/DR version: Koodo *must* provide notification by default. However, you can opt it out if you don't like it.