Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How do you get an Only Talk and Text plan with SMS but block data?

Userlevel 1
I want to get my daughter a phone that will only do Talk and Text.  I do not want to get charged for any Data.

I have tried to call Koodo and the people just talk in circles and really don't understand their own products. 

I have an LG G3 data plan with Data for myself and want to get the exact same phone for my daughter.  If you read the description for the Text and Talk plan, there is the part about Pay Per Use data that they bill at $7.50 / 50mb that can add up to quite a bit.  So how do you go about blocking the data on the phone?

You cannot on the phone simply turn off DATA as that blocks your ability to use SMS messaging.  I have tried this on my phone and with data turned off on the Andriod Settings, then I can't receive any SMS messages.  Also it will block the phone's ability to send Photo Messages out.  It seems that Andriod see's photo's inside of an SMS message as data and logs it to your data use on the phone.  Now according to the Koodo Plan, you are supposed to get unlimited free Photo messages.  But when I take a look at my bills and the phone usage per day, it seems that they charge me for data when I message a photo. 

The only solution I can think of is if Koodo does some setting on their own end to say No to internet data but allow SMS messages with the Andriod phone set to have data turned on.

Now I can understand it gets rather confusing with Apple as the iphone uses iMessage and that is a shared data/sms service that is run by apple and not the phone company.  So I cannot get my daughter the iPhone that she really wants.   But the cell phone companies need to be held to a higher standard and give us really what they are advertising and not blame the hardware they sell us saying that is causing the issue.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi ther3. I also run an lg g3. First off their is no way to use picture messaging without data being turned on but normal texts don't need data. Also there is a data manager built into the g3 that lets u know when ur at ur limit and turns off ur data. Koodo has data caps/limits you can set up with them that way you can never get those per/mb charges. You can still text normally without data on. Just not pixtures inside those texts.

As for the charges for sending or receiving picture messages, your seeing charges because an app in the background was using data. Yes u need data turned off for picture sending but it doesn't use data at all for the process. Make sure u have Sync turned off if u don't want anything to update while on data. Hope I could help a little bit

Sms is normal text texting
Mms is picture/video texting.
Userlevel 1
But that is the issue.  Their Talk and Text plan give you

All plans include:
  • Unlimited evenings and weekends (5pm) 1
  • Unlimited messaging (text & picture) 2
  • Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling 6
1.Unlimited calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.

Includes international text messages sent and received anywhere in Canada. Availability of service will vary by country and is subject to change without notice. Excludes premium and subscription-based messages. [b]Additional data charges apply depending on picture size when roaming in the U.S. and internationally. Picture messaging is supported by BlackBerry smartphone with a SIM card only if a BlackBerry is added to a Koodo plan or a Koodo data plan is chosen. [b]Picture messaging works only if data is turned on.

Calls must be made and completed within Canada. Applies to calls made between phones on the same account.

so if you are getting unlimited, then doesn't that imply that you get as much as as is sent to you without additional charges?  The description does say that Data needs to be turned on.  It also says that only additional data charges will be charged depending on photo size (that you are stuck with what the Smart Phone gives you) when roaming.  But it doesn't say anything about Canada.  nor what the size limit is.  

With my phone, if I turn the data off,  I get NO SMS messages in.  I can send text out fine.    But without turning the data off, you can't stop your smart phone that is really quite dumb from constantly going out onto the data stream to even check things like the status of the phone and if there is a new android version.  It rather defeats the purpose of even having a Talk and Text only plan offered by Koodo as they don't sell a phone that does not require data.
Userlevel 7
matt.mackinnon wrote:

All plans include:[list]

• Unlim...

• "so if you are getting unlimited, then doesn't that imply that you get as much as as is sent to you without additional charges?"
    Yes, that's correct. You can send and receive unlimited MMS and any data assocaited is not charged to you. 

"The description does say that Data needs to be turned on.  It also says that only additional data charges will be charged depending on photo size (that you are stuck with what the Smart Phone gives you) when roaming.  But it doesn't say anything about Canada.  nor what the size limit is.  "

Why would it mention Canada? That description talks about roaming in the US. You aren't roaming while you're in Canada. Your plan covers you in Canada if you didn't know.

"With my phone, if I turn the data off,  I get NO SMS messages in.  I can send text out fine."

Then there's something wrong with your phone. Data is not required to send or receive SMS. Only for MMS.

***************************************************************************************
    If you would like to block data completely but allow MMS to go in and out, therefore eliminating any possible unwanted data charges, Koodo offers such an add-on for $2/month.

Note: I think you're confused as to the difference between SMS and MMS and what they actually are. SMS is a regular text message and does not require data. An MMS is a multimedia message (picture, audio, video). Even if you send a message with a photo, that's an MMS.
    Userlevel 1
    matt.mackinnon wrote:

• Unlim...

• I can only test messaging myself from my wifes phone that is an iPhone 4c. so perhaps it is encoding every iMessage as MMS and not SMS.

So I gather from my understanding then that if I get a phone with the Talk and Text  that its my problem to get the phone to not do any data charges.  Guess I'm stuck to not getting her a phone.  Thanks.  Will just have to take my business elsewhere to a company that will sell me what I need.

thanks

Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    matt.mackinnon wrote:

• Unlim...

• Yes, Apple Messages are transferred via a data connection either cellular or Wi-Fi. Apple Messages are neither SMS or MMS, they follow a different path entirely, and are managed through Apple's data servers, not Koodo's.

If you want to use your iPhones without a data plan and send messages, you would need to go to Settings > Messages, and turn off the iMessage slider.
    Userlevel 7
    Sms messaging DOES NOT REQUIRE data, if you're not getting incoming SMS messages with data off then something is wrong . On some plans you can add a data block for 2$ that still allows MMS messages. Therefore you can leave data on on her phone but she won't have access to anything but talk sms/mms Or you can block data completely for free by adding a data block. The complete block is available as an add on in self serve The 2$ block you'll need to call in for.
    Userlevel 7
    Chad Burr wrote:

Sms messaging DOES NOT REQUIRE data, if you're not getting incoming SMS messages with data off th...

Uh... okay then.
    Userlevel 7
    Chad Burr wrote:

Sms messaging DOES NOT REQUIRE data, if you're not getting incoming SMS messages with data off th...

What?
    Userlevel 1
    Chad Burr wrote:

Does this data block option exist for the Talk&Text 30 plan ?  I have no problem with my daughter using the phone with WiFi, but don't want to get stuck with a massive bill for internet traffic.

Its a constant fight with my wife to not allow my daugher to use her iphone as she can suck down data like a black hole.  Some of these games like constant updates and internet advertising and have seen the phone data use 350mb in less than an hour without either of them realizing what is going on.

I know the difference between SMS and MMS, and my phone right now due to the Android 5.0.1 bug has auto MMS turned off.    I have no control over how iOS or Android for that matter work.   I just want a solution that gives me the services that are advertised without having Pay As You Go shoved on me that I do not want.

Your advertisement and plan shows MMS as being free!  The problem of MMS requiring data to be turned on it not really my issue, and there is NO MENTION of any form both on my phone service portal options, or any other place that I can see that says you can block internet data for $2 and still let MMS work.  That is Koodo's problem.

Userlevel 5
    Chad Burr wrote:

Hey everyone! Just to clarify. The only Data Block that we currently offer is the $2 add-on that blocks all data but allows MMS to go through. It can be added through your self-serve account. You always have the option to turn off data directly from your device if you do not wish to pay for the feature. However, if you turn off data in your phone, no MMS will go through.
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    i believe she has SMS and MMS confused guys.
    Userlevel 7
    Chadwick wrote:

i believe she has SMS and MMS confused guys.

Yeah he does from the looks of it
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    ...or you can simply sign up for prepaid.
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    matt.mackinnon wrote:

And just a general rule to people posting on the forum.  STOP being a dick and saying or inf...

so follow your rule. Dont use foul language and tell lies about other people Which is what your "general rule" was stating wasnt it??
    Userlevel 7
    Do not insult me or Chad by saying we did nothing but insult you. We did nothing of the sort and between the both of us, we answered your question and in detail too. There was no malicious or cruel intent with anything said. Sorry if you thought there was. That being said, yours was. Please watch yourself and how you conduct yourself on this forum. Everyone here, including Chad and I, were doing nothing but helping. Whether you want to believe it or not, most of your issues legitmately come from the fact you don't understand how phones and cell service works. Which is fine. But don't get mad and upset because we answered your question and the answer wasn't what you wanted to hear. ( P.s. That wasn't an insult either but you probably think it will be. ) That's all for my contribution towards this thread. Feel free to reply but you won't be engaged by me. Have a nice day and hope you resolve your issues.
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    I meant confused about the difference between SMS and MMS< i WAS NOT saying your confused about how to run a cell phone. Maybe take a chill pill and stop being so serious. Were only here to help people who ask questions. THANKS AHMAD for being just a little more professional than i can be. 🙂
    Userlevel 4
    I am confused and I say it ahead of anything else so there is not misunderstanding. The problem rises from the convoluted way wireless providers in North America set things to squeeze the buck. The more rules are difficult to understand the more confusion and possibility for the provider to charge for something, does not matter what. With more transparent plans and less greedy inclination many of these problems would be solved.
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    Tiz wrote:

I am confused and I say it ahead of anything else so there is not misunderstanding. The problem r...

Perhaps you would be less confused if you asked questions rather than making accusations.
    Userlevel 4
    Tiz wrote:

I am confused and I say it ahead of anything else so there is not misunderstanding. The problem r...

Timo Tuokkola you are a funny guy. I travel all over the world and I can compare what happens in North America and what happen elsewhere and, I tell you, North America does not come out with flying colors. Beside, if things are done in the proper way it would not be necessary to ask questions. And,  believe me, I am not confused - I just tried to be funny like you - I went through too many more serious metter to be confused by these things.