Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How do I stop getting full-screen notifications saying that updates are available?

Hello, I have a moto g4 PLUS android phone (model XT1641). After I updated the phone for the first time, almost every time I turn on my phone now, I get a large "New system software available!" notification which gives me the options of "no, maybe later," and "yes I'm in."

This didn't happen until I updated the phone the first time, and now I can't seem to figure out how to get it to stop showing up. Anyone know a way?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey Gurza, connect to wifi and download and install the update that's the only way for it to stop.

You can download it over your mobile connection but updates usually are around 500mb so wifi in more ideal if you don't want to waste your cellular data. Software updates come at different times so updating the first time didn't make it begin to happen it just a coincidence.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Settings, Apps (Notifications), click 3 dots in upper right, Show System, Motorola System Services, App Info, Disable
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Settings, Apps (Notifications), click 3 dots in upper right, Show System, Motorola System Service...

Then your phone won't be Secure if your not installing most recent updates against vulnerability in software, I don't recommend it, just perform the update and your done and safe. This is more important with Motorola since they bundle months and months of vulnerability updates into a single update now.
Thanks for the replies guys. I feel I should clarify a little: I still want updates to be available, I'd just rather it not be constantly shoved in my face until I decide to actually do it. The first time I updated it, it was not with the method I described, but rather a small icon I clicked on from the swipe-down menu.

I'd rather it stay that way but if it can't, I suppose my options are limited.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gurza wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel I should clarify a little: I still want updates to be availab...

Oh ok yeah it's probably large now because there was a fairly urgent security vulnerability that was patched recently so they're try to really encourage the user to update asap to not fall victim to an attack. If you do any banking with your phone or online purchases definitely worth even using your cellular data if it's not a large update if you don't have wifi access right now.