Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How do I dispute data usage? While I am asllep at 4 a.m. there is a $90 data charge? Impossible!

25 replies

Going to need more information than that. Have you pulled up the data details on your Self Serve account? What phone are you using for your Koodo account?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can call Koodo. *611 from your Koodo phone or 1-866-995-6636 from any other phone
Yes... pulled up data details as follows. 4:29:33 AM 84.12 MB Data Usage from/to $0.00 Galaxy 2
Peter Dickens wrote:

Yes... pulled up data details as follows. 4:29:33 AM 84.12 MB Data Usage from/to $0.00 Ga...

And the 2nd question I asked, was what phone are you using? That detail does not show any data overage.
Peter Dickens wrote:

Yes... pulled up data details as follows. 4:29:33 AM 84.12 MB Data Usage from/to $0.00 Ga...

Galaxy 2 And no... I am not over, but this is a big chunk of what I am allowed... and at 4:30 a.m. phone is plugged into charger and I am asleep?
Peter Dickens wrote:

Then why are you stating that you were charged $90 for data overage?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you only used 84MB that can't possibly be charged as $90, Peter, so as KaneSlavid said earlier we need more information. Did you perhaps lose WiFi in the night and didn't set your phone to download updates on WiFi only? 84MB is not that much and could easily be used up with just two or three apps updating...
Sorry... did not mean $90.. but 90 MB... actually 84MB Not sure on the setting... thought I had Is there a way to set this for all apps? Or just one at a time?
Userlevel 6
Peter Dickens wrote:

Sorry... did not mean $90.. but 90 MB... actually 84MB Not sure on the setting... thought I ha...

If your phone is on, even if you do nothing data can be used as apps update in the background. Say you have Facebook and your friends post stuff. If you haven't logged out of facebook all of that gets pushed to your phone and it consumes data. A weather app could do the same. Lots of things.
Peter Dickens wrote:

Sorry... did not mean $90.. but 90 MB... actually 84MB Not sure on the setting... thought I ha...

Hmmm.... odd this would happen so rarely then really.... only happened once before in 5 years and I figured that was a glitch...
Peter Dickens wrote:

Shut data off every night from now on.... still seems really odd...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Peter Dickens wrote:

For starters, you should definitely set the Google Play Store to download updates on WiFi only. Just open the Play Store and tick it in the Settings. Whenever I install an app, I usually check if there is a setting within the app itself to only download content on WiFi, same with uploading pictures etc (e.g. Google+ and Dropbox)
Peter Dickens wrote:

I checked... and as i thought Play Store was already set to DO NOT AUTO UPDATE!!!
Peter Dickens wrote:

Has been from the day I got the phone.... something is amiss I fear...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Peter Dickens wrote:

Have you checked your data usage on the phone? Not sure where to find it on your phone but try something like Settings - Connections - Data usage. If you scroll down it will show you a list of apps that used data. Anything unusual there?
Peter Dickens wrote:

If you tab on Settings > Data usage, that will tell you what Apps have been using the mobile data.
Peter Dickens wrote:

Oh yes... and I have the My Data Manager App... that is what alerted me to check on my account.
Userlevel 3
Peter Dickens wrote:

Proactively turn off your data as you don't need it. Also, check your self serve useage more frequently as the upates are now per MB which is almost realtime.
Userlevel 7
Peter Dickens wrote:

And what does it say? The data usage came from somewhere and 84MB really isn't a lot of data if for some reason, an app was updating something in the background or a download(s) was in progress etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Peter Dickens wrote:

So you must know by now then what's been using up all that data? What app shows 84MB usage today?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Peter Dickens wrote:

Curious what the data was taken by, let us know when you find it in the list in usage
Peter Dickens wrote:

oh... did not realize I could pinpoint the app... will try...
Peter Dickens wrote:

OK... getting silly... another 76MB data just got used in the last few minutes!!!!!
Peter Dickens wrote:

Turn off your Data, use Wifi instead. And check out the direction Kane Slavik mentioned to check which apps are using the data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Peter Dickens wrote:

Did you figure out what app was taking the data ? Also you didn't install an alarm clock app from the Playstore before this started happening did you?