Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How do i activate my new phone on prepaid?

I am a prepaid customer and I just bought a new unlocked phone and sim card. How do I switch to using my new phone?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Elora, Log into your self serve account, select "Phone Services", then select "Change SIM Card", here you can enter the new number of the SIM card.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Elora, Log into your self serve account, select "Phone Services", then select "Change SIM Car...

I tried that, it said my sim card was either invalid or in use but I just got it at Walmart today.
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Elora, Log into your self serve account, select "Phone Services", then select "Change SIM Car...

Some of the sim cards at walmart are yuck. Check again and make sure the sim nunber is correct... Btw if the sim from your old phone is the same size as you'll need for your new phone, you can just switch the sim to the ew device. No need to update koodo on the change.
Userlevel 6
Mathieu wrote:

Hey Elora! To add on, make sure that your sim card is written "Prepaid" on it. 
Mathieu wrote:

I got a replacement phone with a different size SIM card then I updated my sim card # but it wont work in my replacement phone, do I have to activate the replacement phone as well?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Updating the SIM information in self-serve should make the new SIM live. There is nothing to change for the phone itself. The site is a bit confusing in that the location to update the SIM is under the heading "change phone."
Mathieu wrote:

I can't find the heading change phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

When you first login to self Serve at the bottom are 12 blue links. One of them says Change Phone.
Mathieu wrote:

but I'm a prepaid customer.  Does that make a difference.  Because I still can't find those 12 blue links.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Mike.
Mathieu wrote:

Thank you very much for all your comments.  I just turned on my phone and now it works.  Looks like it just needed some time to unwind.  Anyway thanks again
Mathieu wrote:

when I changed phones and sims card it took a full day for Koodo to recognize the change
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Thank you for update, Mike 🙂

It usually take instant or within 5 minutes to take effect. But I've seen some posts mentioned it took up to 24 hours.
Also, power cycle might help to refresh connection to the network too. 
I just want to switch my sim card to another phone but its not working. phones are both unlocked. i dont know what the problem is.\
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rhandi Sandford wrote:

I just want to switch my sim card to another phone but its not working. phones are both unlocked....

Try re start your phone.
If it didn't work, can you start your own post?
https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/new

Prepaid or postpaid?
What phone are they?
Rhandi Sandford wrote:

I just want to switch my sim card to another phone but its not working. phones are both unlocked....

i just did. prepaid. iphone 5-iphone 6 sim card seems to fit
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rhandi Sandford wrote:

Yes, they  both use Nano.
Where did you get i6?   Is it working condition for sure?