Koodo Community

Community

How did I incur $135 in overage charges for airtime minutes?!

I currently have 500 minutes of airtime with unlimited evenings and weekends. I have never gone over but I have over $135 in overage fees. I had no idea until I took a look at my usage and now I realize that it is because Ive had to make a lot of calls during the day. I received no warnings or information like I do if I go over my data. It has more than doubled my bill for this month and if I knew that I was going to go over I would have just upgraded my plan and saved myself $120. Is there anyway I can still change my plan and not pay the fees? 
Please tell me that you aren't going to say no and completely throw me into a rage because I don't have a tab on my phone and it would be so easy to go with Freedom mobile.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There is no way and in fact you will be charged more because then you'd get prorated so if you're at day 15 then you'd only have 250 minutes instead of 500.

Koodo never gave minutes notifications and no carriers really do. You're on your own to keep track or look in self-serve. Sorry to "throw you into a rage"
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

There is no way and in fact you will be charged more because then you'd get prorated so if you're...

Looking at it another way, you've been saving $25 per month for however long by not having purchased the unlimited minutes plan. This one month you go over. If you had the unlimited plan all along (as insurance against overage), you would have paid more over 6 months.

As Goran said, no carrier in Canada notifies users of minutes consumed in the manner data is. Likely because it is fairly straightforward to know how many minutes you have consumed, or if your use patterns have changed.

Goran wrote:

There is no way and in fact you will be charged more because then you'd get prorated so if you're...

Why don’t companies alert users? I feel like anyone would be upset if this happened to them. Because of this I’m probably going to switch providers and koodo won’t get anymore of my money anyway. I tried to call Koodo but faced a wait of “over 20 minutes” I never really thought about how many minutes I used because I never went over but I’ve been off work because of an injury and have spent a lot of time on hold with WCB for my claim. When it rains it pours I guess /:(
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Carriers didn't alert you because they didn't have to. I guess overage charges has been a big source of income, there is no reason to stop it.

Back to your case, I would suggest you call and talk to Koodo agents, (if you call early in the morning, waiting time could be much less). You could explain your case, (issues with WCB...), and ask nicely if Koodo could give you a better plan with similar price, or some courtesy credits given you has been a longtime customer. You could also ask to talk to loyalty/retention department to see if they could review your plan and give you something. I personally have no clue what is the criteria to give some credits but it costs nothing to ask.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

“Why don’t companies alert users?” Any number of reasons, to which we as cutomers are not privy. Most likely it is because the tools to manage your minutes are easily accessible, and that even on landlines, and going back decades, you were not notified of minutes used. Simple answer: it’s just not done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

You can always send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter or call ask explaining your situation and asking for a reduced charge but there are of course no guarantees as Koodo is not obligated to.

If you need to talk more until the billing cycle is over you can use Skype or Fongo or Text Now or any VoIP service that let's you make calls to talk to WCB and others.

If you still feel burned by Koodo you can leave just remember that it can happen again with any carrier. If you want to keep your number contact the carrier that you want to switch to to port over so you don't have to call Koodo to cancel your line. You will get a final bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Even the CRTC decided against regulating talk overage since it was easier for customers to keep track of their talk time compared to keeping track of their data usage
Userlevel 6
You could easily switch to Freedom Mobile, but they will also NOT notify you of used minutes, and they will ALSO charge you over going over your talk time.

If's up to us to keep track of used minutes. Also, if you got charged $135 in overage fees, that is a LOT of talk time. Not sure how you didn't pick up on THAT much extra usage...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

You could easily switch to Freedom Mobile, but they will also NOT notify you of used minutes, and...

All their plans are unlimited talk so no they won't.
Userlevel 6
Techjunkie wrote:

You could easily switch to Freedom Mobile, but they will also NOT notify you of used minutes, and...

Ah yes! Right. Scratch what I said, then.
I forgot they don't have any plans with limited minutes.
Userlevel 1
Techjunkie wrote:

Not completely true. Freedom has unlimited minutes within the "home" zones and a few hundred minutes when "roaming" good luck with arguing the excess "roaming" minutes and data with freedom. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Techjunkie wrote:

No need to be pedantic. It is well known that it's unlimited only within their network. It's 2400 minutes with the higher end roaming plans otherwise it's a per minute rate. you're getting Freedom because you're mostly in their network area and you're ok with the less good network at this point in exchange for much lower price point.
Userlevel 1
Koodo did not come to your house and asked you to use their servicesYou went into a koodo store and proactively signed up for serviceYou are the one who should be aware of how much of that service you are using.
Koodo offers you the courtesy of self serve to allow you to track your minutes
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Johny Cash wrote:

Koodo did not come to your house and asked you to use their servicesYou went into a koodo store a...

This thread is 8 months old. It's highly unlikely that OP will be coming back to read this. Please don't necro threads.